Running out of space on Server OS drive, where SQL Server app located, what to clear out?

• Eric M Russell - Tuesday, January 16, 2018 10:30 AM

I use tool on my personal PC to keep tabs on disk space allocation by folder. It would help in your case too.
    https://jam-software.com/treesize_free/

Looks good.  Too bad it doesn't have a CLI (Command Line Interface).

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Eric M Russell - Tuesday, January 16, 2018 10:30 AM

I use tool on my personal PC to keep tabs on disk space allocation by folder. It would help in your case too.

This is cool however I'd be fired for installing outside non-approved software on a corp server

• It won't help your current problem, but you need to get your company rules changed for system drive size.  60GB for Windows and SQL server over a lifetime of 5 years is too small.

You need to factor in the size of Windows fixes (often over 500MB per month) and SQL fixes (often over 500MB every 2 months) which adds up to over 9GB increase in space used each year.  Then add in Windows monitoring and log files and anything else that needs to live on the system drive and 60GB for the life of the server looks more like hope rather than reality.

FWIW we have a standard of 100GB for any system drive, more if it can be justified.  But all our servers are virtualised and use thin provisioning so actual SAN space used is less than 100GB * ServerCount.  Also virtual drives can be grown if needed.

Original author: https://github.com/SQL-FineBuild/Common/wiki/ 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2019, 2017 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor they call me a communist - Archbishop HΓ©lder CΓ’mara

• EdVassie - Wednesday, January 17, 2018 8:06 AM

It won't help your current problem, but you need to get your company rules changed for system drive size.  60GB for Windows and SQL server over a lifetime of 5 years is too small.

You need to factor in the size of Windows fixes (often over 500MB per month) and SQL fixes (often over 500MB every 2 months) which adds up to over 9GB increase in space used each year.  Then add in Windows monitoring and log files and anything else that needs to live on the system drive and 60GB for the life of the server looks more like hope rather than reality.

FWIW we have a standard of 100GB for any system drive, more if it can be justified.  But all our servers are virtualised and use thin provisioning so actual SAN space used is less than 100GB * ServerCount.  Also virtual drives can be grown if needed.

I completely agree with you, if there were to be any change, migrate it all to a Virtual SQL Server, and then manage space on an as needed basis, starting off with their set template of system build out. Any many of the SQL Servers bare metal or otherwise, are around for many many years only getting larger, even though cubes and tables may routinely get retired

• I added a post around a year ago regarding (in my case) a lack of free space on the OS drive of Dev SQL Servers.  There were no SQL db files on there just a load of crap! :crazy:

"I did not find any result with extracting the files as the SP installer still uses the C:\ drive, however what I did find, (and in 15+ years of SQL Server, I was not aware of this) is that whenever a SQL SP, CU or hotfix is installed it copies the whole caboodle to a specific folder, in my case: 'C:\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Setup Bootstrap\UpdateCache\' - there was 5GB!! of hotfixes/SPs in here! Anyone else aware of this? Incidentally, when doing a search for large files to remove, this folder is not picked up by the search.
    So, if you need some free space on the OS drive, try looking in here first, could save the hassle of looking for files to remove or trying to get the drive size increased."

qh

[font="Tahoma"]Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes. – Carl Jung.[/font]
  • I've had the log files in c:\windows\logs\cbs grow to tens of GB on many of our servers, especially on 2012 and 2012R2.  It is one more place to look and may give you a quick win.  You can find posts online describing how to delete the files, but the key is to stop the "Windows Modules Installer" service first.  These files are recreated by the OS as needed if it finds them missing.

• quackhandle1975 - Wednesday, January 17, 2018 9:14 AM

I added a post around a year ago regarding (in my case) a lack of free space on the OS drive of Dev SQL Servers.  There were no SQL db files on there just a load of crap! :crazy:

"I did not find any result with extracting the files as the SP installer still uses the C:\ drive, however what I did find, (and in 15+ years of SQL Server, I was not aware of this) is that whenever a SQL SP, CU or hotfix is installed it copies the whole caboodle to a specific folder, in my case: 'C:\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Setup Bootstrap\UpdateCache\' - there was 5GB!! of hotfixes/SPs in here! Anyone else aware of this? Incidentally, when doing a search for large files to remove, this folder is not picked up by the search.
    So, if you need some free space on the OS drive, try looking in here first, could save the hassle of looking for files to remove or trying to get the drive size increased."

qh

I'll go out on a limb and ask,was it a safe delete with the file explore? I've deleted things in the past that way, only to find an unstable system

• quinn.jay - Wednesday, January 17, 2018 10:14 AM

quackhandle1975 - Wednesday, January 17, 2018 9:14 AM

I added a post around a year ago regarding (in my case) a lack of free space on the OS drive of Dev SQL Servers.  There were no SQL db files on there just a load of crap! :crazy:

qh

I'll go out on a limb and ask,was it a safe delete with the file explore? I've deleted things in the past that way, only to find an unstable system

As with most things we tested this on Development server first (and most of these spaces issues were on Dev boxes) and it worked fine.  

For the odd Prod box where we had this issue, we moved the files to another drive rather than delete them. Again there were no issues. YMMV. πŸ˜‰

qh

[font="Tahoma"]Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes. – Carl Jung.[/font]
  • Jeff Moden - Tuesday, January 16, 2018 11:23 AM

Eric M Russell - Tuesday, January 16, 2018 10:30 AM

πŸ˜€ spot the cmd line junkie

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" πŸ˜‰

• Perry Whittle - Friday, January 19, 2018 4:51 AM

Jeff Moden - Tuesday, January 16, 2018 11:23 AM

Eric M Russell - Tuesday, January 16, 2018 10:30 AM

πŸ˜€ spot the cmd line junkie

Heh... guilty as charged. πŸ˜›

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply