Running A Remote Stored Procedure Asynchronously

• I have a stored procedure on a large SQL Server 7 database that extracts data to a remote SQL7 database. When that process completes, I want to trigger the run of a long stored procedure on the remote server - but I do not want my home server to wait for it to complete. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

• You can use the WSCRIPT SHELL object to do asynchronous processing of SP's. Here is a simple example to demonstrate what I am talking about. This example creates a sp, usp_wait. That waits 2 minutes then creates a table.

This script then execute usp_wait, using an osql command processed using WSCRIPT.SHELL object through OLE Automation. The script completes right away. If you watch in EM after the scripts completes, you will see the table show up two minutes later.

create proc usp_wait

as

waitfor delay '00:02:00'

create table abc (a int)

go

Declare @rc int

DECLARE @object int

DECLARE @src varchar(255)

Declare @desc varchar(255)

EXEC @rc = sp_OACreate 'WScript.Shell', @object OUT

print @rc

IF @rc <> 0

BEGIN

EXEC sp_OAGetErrorInfo @object, @src OUT, @desc OUT

SELECT hr=convert(varbinary(4),@RC), Source=@src, Description=@desc

RETURN

END

EXEC @rc=sp_OAMethod @Object,'run',null,'osql -E -d<db name here> -S<servername here> -q"usp_wait"'

IF @rc <> 0

BEGIN

EXEC sp_OAGetErrorInfo @object, @src OUT, @desc OUT

SELECT hr=convert(varbinary(4),@RC), Source=@src, Description=@desc

RETURN

END

Gregory A. Larsen, DBA

Contributor to 'The Best of SQLServerCentral.com 2002' book. Get a copy here: http:www.sqlservercentral.com/bestof/purchase.asp

Need SQL Server Examples check out my website at http://www.geocities.com/sqlserverexamples

Gregory A. Larsen, MVP

• What I typically do in this case is to have a job that queries a table on the remote server. If there is a record in the table that needs processing the job starts the process and updates the record with it's current status. When the process is complete it then updates the status as being completed. If the process errors out it is also updated with an error flag.

I've been using this system to update snapshots automattically when a certain event happens in my publisher database for the last year. It works very well 🙂

Gary Johnson

Microsoft Natural Language Group

DBA, Sr. DB Engineer

Gary Johnson
    Microsoft Natural Language Group
    DBA, Sr. DB Engineer

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. The opinions expressed in this post are my own and may not reflect that of my employer.

• Thanks to you both. gljjr, looks a robust solution but I would prefer to avoid polling if possible. Greg, I will need to study this and try it out but it looks like exactly what I was after. Thnaks again.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply