RS SP2 install RSCLIENTPrint via cab file, is there an MSI?

• Here is my version: 2005.90.3042.0

I will try and see if i can create a custom MSI. I don't really have the necessary files to do so. If anyone wants I can send you the CAB file and can you create the MSI for me? 😀

Hrmm, well I confirmed with the other computer and its not working as well. Its not so much a big deal for me, that it worked over a year ago, and just recently it stopped, and the only way to print is to export to PDF. I just rather prefer to click on Print Icon.

How often do these folks patch their machines? As I mentioned before, MS published the older version of the RSClientPRint.dll on one of the activex KillBits lists. This was because it contained a vulnerable implementation of GDIPlus. You can read more about it here http://blogs.msdn.com/brianhartman/archive/2008/11/05/client-print-fails-to-load-after-microsoft-update-956391.aspx

All active X controls are enabled, AV is shut off.

IE browser is whatever came on the computer, i think its 6.0 something, i never updated. Not really an IE fan. Then again, this whole report viewer thing doesn't even work in FireFox.

It it more than likely the fact that your activeX control is listed on the killbits list so IE won't even try to load it no matter what settings within IE you have set.

-Luke.

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

• And just to be clear... you stated you are using Build 09.00.3042 which is SQL server 2005 SP2, which was released back in 2007. This issue began with the GDIplus vuln in 2008. You server is sending out the one that IE will not even try to load.

You need to update both your client machines and the viewer control on the server. The easiest way to do this would be to install SP3 and keep your server current, which also includes patches for the sp_replwritetovarbin vulnerability discussed here http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms09-004.mspx. A much more difficult way is to do it via the MS rsclientPrint reditributable which can be downloaded from MS.

-Luke.

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

• So your telling me that once the IE client loads the Killbits list it wont try to load the activex control since im using an older version which is already blacklisted from IE?

Makes sense since im sure most of the users updated IE. And since we didnt update browser it would block it.

\And what is this kill bits? Is it a physical list that computer blocks?

• Found the kill bits list through the registry and was able to locate the CLSID, which is:

FA91DF8D-53AB-455D-AB20-F2F023E498D3

Dont know what good that would do me though.

• As a temporary fix, you could help the user to know how to print it to PDF and then to print the report from the PDF file?

• Wonder what would happen if you delete that CLSID from the Registry?

Does IE8 perform this way on that computer?

• jdmstar (7/31/2009)

Found the kill bits list through the registry and was able to locate the CLSID, which is:

Yes this is the ClsID for the old one that will no longer work on a machine that is patched and up to date.

You could theoretically undo the Killbit that has been set for that CLSID to get it working again, but I would not recommend it. Every month it seems MS is releasing a new set of Killbits. I don't know for sure but I was under the impression that a good number of them are cumulative, so you'd need to reset the killbit every month. That sounds like a maintenance headache to me.

Is there a business reason why you haven't upgraded your reporting services instance to SP3? I really think that do that coupled with downloading the new activex control will go a long way towards solving your problem.

-Luke.

• What version of the rsclientprint.dll do you have? The one that I have that works with all of the winXP patches installed up to and including the one from yesterday is 2005.90.4035 (aka SQL SP3). As I stated earlier I did not install it in System32, I used a custom msi to install it to it's proper place (%windir%\Downloaded Program Files).

Perhaps the 1 machine that is working and the one that isn't working have different versions of the activeX killbits set? Not so much a different version of rsclientPrint.dll

Hi Luke,

I would be very happy if you provide the .msi. We are using SQL Server 2005 SP3 and I have also installed Repoertviewer redistributable SP1 on Report Server.

I tried all the options suggested, but did not work for me. I have also created a .msi (followed the steps given in http://bogdanbrinzarea.wordpress.com/2009/07/07/unable-to-load-client-print-control-and-deploying-rsclientprint-via-msi/) but it also did not work (I'm not an expert in creating .msi though;-))

So I would like to try your .msi as a last attempt:-)

many thanks

• My MSI will not work for your situation. All you need to do is grab the report view redist cab from your report server and compile one using Visual studio as per the directions posted earlier in this thread.

-Luke.

• Hi Luke,

I exactly followed the steps from ( http://bogdanbrinzarea.wordpress.com/2009/07/07/unable-to-load-client-print-control-and-deploying-rsclientprint-via-msi/) but it also did not work!!

any help plz

• Erik-496633 (7/31/2009)

As a temporary fix, you could help the user to know how to print it to PDF and then to print the report from the PDF file?

Yea i already did that. That was the first thing i did during training lol. IF ALL ELSE FAIL export > PDF and save to a dir and then print 😀

Erik-496633 (7/31/2009)

Wonder what would happen if you delete that CLSID from the Registry?

Does IE8 perform this way on that computer?

I dont know if it works like that though i can try it on my LOCAL machine, but then again if it does work, i dont have time to go do it on all 100+ pcs that is located all around the world in different locations and im sure their local IT wouldnt be too happy with me editing the list and reg hacking it.

Luke L (7/31/2009)

jdmstar (7/31/2009)

Found the kill bits list through the registry and was able to locate the CLSID, which is:

Yes this is the ClsID for the old one that will no longer work on a machine that is patched and up to date.

You could theoretically undo the Killbit that has been set for that CLSID to get it working again, but I would not recommend it. Every month it seems MS is releasing a new set of Killbits. I don't know for sure but I was under the impression that a good number of them are cumulative, so you'd need to reset the killbit every month. That sounds like a maintenance headache to me.

Is there a business reason why you haven't upgraded your reporting services instance to SP3? I really think that do that coupled with downloading the new activex control will go a long way towards solving your problem.

-Luke.

The reason is because YES we manage the servers but it is located within a company, and they manage their own PCs so if they update their pcs then obviously we would have to get a memo of this and update or patch our server, but you know how these things work. I didnt get any word of any updates and ALL i got was a crap load of help mail saying the reports wont print.

And we access our servers via VPN so its hard enough to RDP and put files on the server to launch when their network is super locked down.

• Not sure how much time you've spent on this, but at some point I reckon it is better to stop spending time on it and get a definite answer.

To find a definitive answer and resolution, you can call Microsoft Support directly. I've done it a number of times when the issue is urgent and could not wait, or when spending more time on it was not a wise choice.

If you call, it is a $259 call, but they'll definitely resolve it for you, to your satisfaction...

If you email, it is $99, and if you can effectively communicate via email, that's a good option too.

URL:

http://support.microsoft.com/select/?LN=en-us&x=13&y=12&target=assistance

(Select SQL Server from the list on this page)

Phone (in USA):

(800) 936-4900

If you go this route and end up finding a great way to distribute the SSRS ActiveX Print Control, please let us know what they give you as a solution. I'm about to deploy SSRS 2008, so I'd like to know what Microsoft says, if you call...

• Would you mind posting your source code/project so that we can easily update for 2012

Viewing 13 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply