RS SP2 install RSCLIENTPrint via cab file, is there an MSI?

• Did you try the create your own MSi bit or were you just registering the dll?

I've found that to be the one that works the best in our environment. Of course, if you're already getting the prompt to download and install it would seem you already have admin rights so the point is somewhat moot. Just download it and install and you'll be all set.

-Luke.

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

• This doesnt work. 🙁

• Care to be a bit more specific?

Creating a custom installer deployed via SMS to my non admin users seems to be working fine in my environment...

-Luke.

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

• I have found that several patches I have applied to SQL lately (SP and Cum Upds) will update the RSClientPrint dll. This is unfortunate as it also appears to never be backward compatible so we have to push an MSI (that we must create ourselves) to all desktops at the same time we apply a SQL SP to the server. We can't push the MSI early to have the desktops prepared or they break in the currrent environment. This is combersome and I wish MS would correct. We set the package set to uninstall the old one and install the new one.

• yes unfortunately that is a requirement. One would hope MS would come up with a better solution. Fortunately, for my organization at least, is that we're somewhat small and the workaround of saving a Pdf and then printing is acceptable for my user community until the patches are distributed. Within a day or so we are able to have approx 90% of our machines patched, so the majority of them never notice.

You may want to work with your systems management/patch management folks and see if they have the availability to use Wake on Lan to wake up the workstations during non-production hours to ensure patch delivery overnight while the workstations are not in use. Or you can ask them to set up a larger number of repositories and to push that particular update separate from your monthly update cycle. Since it's not very large, and it doesn't require a reboot, it should be easy to distribute the same day you patch your servers.

-Luke.

• Luke L (7/24/2009)

Care to be a bit more specific?

Creating a custom installer deployed via SMS to my non admin users seems to be working fine in my environment...

-Luke.

\Im no guru or anything so here goes. Bare with me.

Got Sql server 2005 running reports, I am doing this all over VPN since I don't have access to the box myself.

I searched online for error code: "Cannot load print client," got a lot of returns on pages and what not. Normally I have seen this error before and to fix the issue i just normally go back to the page and re install the RSPRINTCLIENT and it all seems to work fine.

Well on one of the PCs with admin privileges set, somehow still get the same error.

Now what I did was download the .MSI that was available a couple of posts back (thank you by the way for your effort) and tried to use that. The MSI didn't work, upon running a report and clicking PRINT same error. Went and installed Report Viewer 2005, re ran the MSI to remove all RSCLIENTPRINT files, and then reinstalled, reboot and same issue, same error.

Now reading on : http://www.kodyaz.com/articles/client-side-printing-silent-deployment-of-rsclientPrint.aspx

I figured I can install it manually and I'm not going to update any time soon so it's ok for me. Well I don't have access to the box to get the RSPRINTCLIENT.CAB file to extract it. Using LESSMSI i extracted the above mentioned MSI file to get all the .dll and .rll files and installed per directions. Basically I added all the files to c:\windows\system32, only two i didnt add was gidplus.dll and .inf file.

RSClientPrint.dll

RSClientPrint_1028.rll

RSClientPrint_1031.rll

RSClientPrint_1033.rll

RSClientPrint_1036.rll

RSClientPrint_1040.rll

RSClientPrint_1041.rll

RSClientPrint_1042.rll

RSClientPrint_1043.rll

RSClientPrint_1046.rll

RSClientPrint_1053.rll

RSClientPrint_2052.rll

RSClientPrint_3082.rll

Ran this code: regsvr32 /s c:\windows\system32\rsprintclient.dll

Get "DLL Registered Sucessful"

Went and restarted the browser. Still no luck.

I have tried every possible combination. Even went into IE, added the website I was on into trusted sites, enabled every ACTIVEX function you can find, and still got the same problems.

• The Msi Provided earlier in this thread was from 2007. As was mentioned in a number of posts, when you update SQL (aka apply SP3 which I'm sure you've done and which was released this year) you need to update the msi and redistribute. Extracting the files from the msi posted 2 years ago will not work.

The reason why the msi from 2 years ago won't work is not so much because SQL was updated, but gdiplus has been updated numerous times. The old control was set in a list of killbits by MS to help alleviate issues with the old version and force people to update to the new.

You need to get the cab file from your report server or one that is the same version, or it will not work. Then all you need to is follow the directions in the link I posted previously which has apparently been moved to another domain. ( here's a new link.) You're looking for post #6. It has step by step instructions to create the msi.

Hope that helps,

-Luke.

• I don't think anything has been updated, I have another computer here on the same network and it is able to print fine.

• I don't think anything has been updated

Something changed I guarantee it. At the very least you have changed it by installing an old version of the RSClientPrint.dll which you extracted from the msi posted to this thread.

Your best bet will be to start from scratch. Unregister and remove the dlls which you have installed from that machine. Since you put them in system32 which is pretty high up in the path it will take precedence over where the files actually should be.

On that machine open the following folder C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files

Remove anything that talks about rsclientprint

Log in to that machine with a user who has admin rights, try to print. It should prompt you to re-install the activeX component and you should be ok after that.

-Luke.

• This might sound like an odd suggestion, but did you consider that this whole RS Client Print thing is an ActiveX control, and many antivirus programs have settings which disable ActiveX controls from functioning.

So, did you check to ensure that the client's antivirus software is not interfering in some way?

The ultimate test would be to temporarily uninstall the client's antivirus, reboot, and then try to print from SSRS (with no antivirus installed).

• Ok update:

I was able to get access to the report server box and download the RSCLIENTPRINT.CAB file,

Did the same aforementioned steps above and still same issue. Even went and disable av this time.

Any more thoughts on what this could be?

**Note this is the same RSCLIENTPRINT OFF THE SAME SERVER, all i did was extracted the files and manually added them to : c:\windows\system32 and ran the regsvr service via CMD Prompt.

Still get unable to load print client.

• What version of the rsclientprint.dll do you have? The one that I have that works with all of the winXP patches installed up to and including the one from yesterday is 2005.90.4035 (aka SQL SP3). As I stated earlier I did not install it in System32, I used a custom msi to install it to it's proper place (%windir%\Downloaded Program Files).

Perhaps the 1 machine that is working and the one that isn't working have different versions of the activeX killbits set? Not so much a different version of rsclientPrint.dll

-Luke.

• Did you check in the IE Settings to see if the ActiveX controls are not disabled?

What browser and version are you using?

• Luke L (7/30/2009)

What version of the rsclientprint.dll do you have? The one that I have that works with all of the winXP patches installed up to and including the one from yesterday is 2005.90.4035 (aka SQL SP3). As I stated earlier I did not install it in System32, I used a custom msi to install it to it's proper place (%windir%\Downloaded Program Files).

Perhaps the 1 machine that is working and the one that isn't working have different versions of the activeX killbits set? Not so much a different version of rsclientPrint.dll

-Luke.

Here is my version: 2005.90.3042.0

I will try and see if i can create a custom MSI. I don't really have the necessary files to do so. If anyone wants I can send you the CAB file and can you create the MSI for me? 😀

Hrmm, well I confirmed with the other computer and its not working as well. Its not so much a big deal for me, that it worked over a year ago, and just recently it stopped, and the only way to print is to export to PDF. I just rather prefer to click on Print Icon.

Erik (7/30/2009)

Did you check in the IE Settings to see if the ActiveX controls are not disabled?

What browser and version are you using?

All active X controls are enabled, AV is shut off.

IE browser is whatever came on the computer, i think its 6.0 something, i never updated. Not really an IE fan. Then again, this whole report viewer thing doesn't even work in FireFox.

• BTW I am downloading visual studio now and will try that method you posted back earlier and see if I cant make the MSI myself. Hope this works, I'm tired of the stupid emails from all the IT staffers telling me their report feature doesn't work.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply