Ronald Reagan, 1911-2004

• Offending people is not the point, Clint.  Nor is American-bashing.  The site's stated purpose is for discussing and assisting others in regards to SQL Server.

I have no issues with folks exchanging political views and discussing the merits & deficiencies of a late president.  I just don't want to see it in a place where I go to get technical information on a product I use every day. 

• The solution is simple.. avoid this thread if these matters have no interest to you.  That's just common sense, another of President Reagan's many virtues.

• Vince,

Don't worry, I shall grant your wish.

I would have gladly avoided this thread had it been in the "Anything But SQL" forum.  Unfortunately, I was confronted with this issue squarely on the SQL Server Central home page, and let myself be drawn into the discussion.  More the fool I for doing so.

This has wasted enough of my time.  I'm going to clear the magic checkbox at the bottom of the reply editing page that does not email me with new postings to this thread.

Have a good day, all.

Vik

• dbgeezer wrote:

"I must admin (being a Brit) I saw him as being on of the more dangerous Presidents you've had. I kind of equated him with Thatcher and as I grew up in the Thatcher era my opinion is not positive. I always thought the USSR imploded for economic reasons ... I'm sure he was a nice guy though ..."

Since I grew up a long time before the Thatcher era, (or any of you, if I read the comments right) I have a much different perspective. Maggie Thatcher and Ronald Reagan were two of the finest world leaders of the Twentieth Century. Mrs. Thatcher will undoubtedly be equated with Winston Churchill in her efforts to defeat world evil, and Ronald Reagan will be remembered as, if not the greatest US president of the Twentieth Century, one of the best. His tireless efforts to defeat world communism was rewarded with the collapse of the Soviet Union, historically one of the worst tyrranies the world has ever seen. The resulting explosion of free democracies in Eastern Europe and the economic boom that followed was the direct result of Mr Reagan's efforts.

It doesn't have anything to do with SQL, but, for the presidency of Ronald Reagan, who knows where the state of computing would be if it was determined by a Central Committee. If you kids haven't learned it by now, here it is CAPITALISM = GOOD; TOTALITARIANISM = BAD! 

• please, stop it now.

where were you when the poll tax riots kicked off ?

what was thatcher sacked by her own party ?

the ECONOMIC factors that caused the USSR to splinter happened over a period of 30 years, the US was stunned when the USSR agreed to limit nuclear weapons. Whilst Reagan sat in the seat his policies did not destroy the USSR.

thatcher brought this country to it's knees and it will be a long time before the tories get another chance.

sanity check please.

cheers

dbgeezer

• For some of the very best political humor and satire, you have got to check this site out.  I just love it!  Makes for great laughs!  I email some of this stuff to friends.

http://politicalhumor.about.com/od/politicalcartoons/

For a link to humor about Ronald Reagan, click here:

http://politicalhumor.about.com/od/ronaldreagan/

Enjoy and smile!

• This article and this discussion are completely inappropriate for this site.  Steve your insights into SQL Server and related technologies are appreciated but rememberances of individuals whether they be actors, political figures etc whether they be good, bad or indifferent are better placed in other sites not here.  Despite this site originating in the USA, the topic is dedicated to technology - SQL Server - a topic that is most certainly not American, nor is it British or Canadian or any other political entity.  If you don't want to be deliberately divisive then lets stay on topic or keep to related topics.   (related topics may be Oracle or Windows or Linux or the IT job market- but politics is innappropriate.)

Francis

• For what it's worth, I'm sorry I opened a can of worms by posting a dissenting point of view.  Steve's article was thoughtful and balanced, but the followup post in the forum was not.  I just thought that such an gushing, adulatory partisan viewpoint ought to be given a little counterpoise.  Not everyone who codes databases is a Republican.  We come from all walks of life here, and--when it comes to politics--no one has the final word.

Folks, it doesn't really matter who we vote for or where we live or what our income bracket is.  This site is a fantastic resource for SQL geeks worldwide, and that's what is important.  Let's move on to bigger and better things.

• This was a nice article even if I don't agree with all of it.  Differing points of view are what makes this country great.  Thank you for taking the time to even write a tribute.

• Here's the thing I like the most.  I notice that a lot of you are first time posters.  When I first started fishing around sqlservercentral.com, I never posted for probably five months.  Then, my first post (2/2003) was on a detach/attach database issue.  However, the second post (6/2003) was on a topic about "What makes a great developer?"  This topic was off the technical mainstream but we went on with that forever.  I made some great friends here because of that topic.  It had it's heated moments as well but I have been addicted to sqlservercentral.com ever since because it welcomed that open debate.  However, Frank Kaliz and others made it great because they have such a great sense of humor.  We have talked about our ability to form a community here and how great that is.  However, this community is a one of many diversified backgrounds.  Even so, a community of friendship and respect is how I feel we developed here.

Now that you have surpassed your first posting, you should understand what this community is all about now.  Keep it up and don't be afraid but please caution your comments because all of you will be best friends next week.  I guarantee it! 

• Steve,  I bet you had no idea of the controversy the Reagan posting would cause.  Sure, it's a diversion from the usual content, but one I know you meant simply out of respect for a passing American figure.

I followed up just to give you some support and add my comments, and didn't mean for it to be a partisan endorsement. Unfortunately, the whole thread, got way out of control, and some comments were uncalled for.

I chose not to take it any further, b/c I didn't want it to become, exactly what is has - a political debating forum. 

Personally, some of the postings were immature, ill-informed and misguided - but that's just my opinion.  And, the ones giving you heat, are definately uncalled for.

I mean, yes its a SQL Server technical site, but the Stock Exchange is closing down Friday out of its respect - what does the market have to do with his passing (other than he was a champion of the free market.)

And, therefore, you had the courage to do what you did, and the fact that everyone is expressing their free opinion, is testimony to the overall goodness of America's place throughout world history. 

I'm not wrapping myself in the flag but in this world there appear to be forces of good and evil (we also have a lot to answer for too), and there are powers and players on the world stage that have influence in events.  Sometimes, others do not want to recognize that we have done or strove to done good by committing ourselves to freedom and liberty.(even though not all policy implementations have always been altruistic or successful.)

Indeed, we need to be aware, especially in light of globalization, and that your forum caters to an international audience, that there are diverse opinions and views. 

America today, is in a precarious situation, (as well as modern civilization) where political correctness, jealousies and even hatred are threating our very existence.  Increasingly, our European friends are blurring the distinctions between American people and American government. Europe has forgotten the lessons of the past, and if we weren't there as a counterforce, would be doomed to repeat it. 

Europeans view themselves as extremely progressive and sophisticated, while they see America as a regressive, immature, even intellectually inferior society.  But I urge them to remember on which continent were the most two destructive World Wars started.

In that light, may there be peace on earth, and for all mankind to work together towards the common good and co-existence.

And tomorrow, we shall return to the common goal of helping our fellow SQL Server friends and counterparts. I hope I didn't overstate my point. 

• Wow, out of respect for the dead I was going to post something nice about Reagan,(History will remember him kindly...blah blah), but that doesn't reflect my true feelings about the man.

I do remember the Berlin Wall coming down; and what a big deal that was no matter what country you were in.  And I remember Aran/Contra; and our illegal support of terrorists (at that time we where calling them "freedom fighters"). 

This all reminds me of the Ender series (Orson Scott Card).   At a persons funeral, The Speaker for the Dead would tell as much of the truth as was possible, leaving nothing good or bad out.  I wish someone could do that for Reagan; we would all learn something about the world at that wake!

RIP, RR

PS: I wish GWB would drop dead, maybe I could vote for him then!  How's that for politics?

Signature is NULL

• Gee, I think I'm blushing!  BFF! 

Seriously, Dale, you are absolutely correct.  We should all keep these political issues more in perspective.

• Jim,

And you probably really believe that Al Gore invented the Internet...

Pat Buskey

• PaulR,

It really all depends on whether you've started your first cup of coffee, finished the last of the six pack, or changed the 13th diaper.    When you post from all over the world, you never know what gets the juices flowing... 

No need to blush! 

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 69 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply