Rights to see database security w/o changing it

• I'm a developer and my DBAs have prevented me from administering security on my production database. While I understand why this needs to be done, I still want to be able to look at what Users and Roles have been created and to be able to see what securables each has. Is there a way my DBAs can give me "read only" access to security?

• We do not give anyone access to our production DB. None of the DBA will allow any developer to have access to the production DB. Especially security. DBA know what needs to be secured.

To be honest and to put it blunt, if you think you can secure the DB more than the DBA's, then you should really start looking for new DBAs for your company.

What you can do is set up a DB in your test environment and check out what all needs to be done and let the DBAs fix it up in the Production DB.

Sorry if I am being blunt.

-Roy

• Thanks for your reply Roy. Albeit, not helpful. We have a small DBA shop that is overworked that is supporting a huge migration to 2005. Being a manager of a house of very skilled developers, we are trying to aid the DBAs in determining problems that are occurring with security during the migration. Sometimes a perfect world is not always possible and developers are needed to even help DBAs.

• Lee Forst (1/7/2008)

Thanks for your reply Roy. Albeit, not helpful. We have a small DBA shop that is overworked that is supporting a huge migration to 2005. Being a manager of a house of very skilled developers, we are trying to aid the DBAs in determining problems that are occurring with security during the migration. Sometimes a perfect world is not always possible and developers are needed to even help DBAs.

Since the DBAs refused to grant you the access that you requested, it doesn't sound like they think they need your help.

• It’s not a matter of they don't what to grant the permission. If there is a way to grant the "read only" permission, they would be more than happy to do it.

I would appreciate replies that have solutions rather than philosophic replies.

• It can be done by creating stored procedures that show you the security settings, and granting you access to execute those stored procedures.

• Thank you Mr. Jones, that is one approach.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply