Rewriting the code using merge statement

• I have code below and trying to rewrite the code using merge statement , but i'm pretty new to use merge any help greatly appreciate

• There's no advantage to rewriting such a thing as a MERGE. I wouldn't waste my time doing such a thing.

If you want to learn MERGE, start on something simple.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Any particular reason? Merge is a pain to write, no more efficient than separate statements in most cases, and has been found to have assorted bugs in it over the years.

Personally I rather avoid merge.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (9/9/2016)

Really? I now feel better about avoiding merge too. 🙂

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• I feel like merge will reduce the code length and improve the performace..if that is the case i will avoid merge..or is there any we can rewrite above code for better performance..thanks

• Alvin Ramard (9/9/2016)

GilaMonster (9/9/2016)

Really? I now feel better about avoiding merge too. 🙂

Makes three of us.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• koti.raavi (9/9/2016)

I feel like merge will reduce the code length and improve the performace..if that is the case i will avoid merge..or is there any we can rewrite above code for better performance..thanks

It looks like you've got 4 statements there, creating a temp table, two inserts then a delete. If you run them 1 by 1 instead of as a batch is there any particular one that runs slow?

• A MERGE won't work here. MERGE requires all of the actions be performed on the same table. Here you are inserting into one table (tbl_OOA_Source_Exception), but deleting from another (tbl_OOA_Source_PreScrub).

Drew

J. Drew Allen
    Business Intelligence Analyst
    Philadelphia, PA

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply