Returning Multiple Columns - T SQL

• Hi

I have a comma delimited values and I want to split this values into mulitple columns. Can someone share the idea / scripts?

Ex

Input

@v-2 = 'A,B,C'

Output

Col1 Col2 Col3

A B C

Thanks

Shuaib

• I'd look at the split method in .Net to create an array for this. Otherwise you might get stuck with some cheesy TSQL string manipulation.

• ab5sr (6/25/2009)

I'd look at the split method in .Net to create an array for this. Otherwise you might get stuck with some cheesy TSQL string manipulation.

I know this is an older post but Cheesy? Heh... you must not know how to do it in T-SQL. 😉

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Shuaib (6/25/2009)

Hi

I have a comma delimited values and I want to split this values into mulitple columns. Can someone share the idea / scripts?

Ex

Input

@v-2 = 'A,B,C'

Output

Col1 Col2 Col3

A B C

Thanks

Shuaib

At the risk of being almost a month late to help keep the cheese from stinking too bad ;-), do you still need some help on this? Despite the current sentiment, there are some methods to do this that will rival even a very well formed CLR or (ugh!) a trip to the .Net cottage.

Also, will you always have a fixed number of items to split (ie, 3) or does it need to produce a variable result?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden (7/20/2009)

ab5sr (6/25/2009)

I'd look at the split method in .Net to create an array for this. Otherwise you might get stuck with some cheesy TSQL string manipulation.

I know this is an older post but Cheesy? Heh... you must not know how to do it in T-SQL. 😉

LOL I guess I don't. Have they added SPLIT() to the TSQL syntax? I'll have to look it up, right.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply