Return

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Return

• Learn new thing. Thanks carlo πŸ™‚

Thanks
    Vinay Kumar
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    Keep Learning - Keep Growing !!!

• Hi,

as per the explanation- The stmt "return (select 5)" gives error because in a batch RETURN with integer_expression is not admitted (note: PARENTHESIS cast the SELECT to an integer_expression for RETURN).

Create PROCEDURE checkstate @param varchar(11)

AS

IF (SELECT StateProvince FROM Person.vAdditionalContactInfo WHERE BusinessEntityID = @param) = 'WA'

RETURN 1

ELSE

RETURN 2 ;

GO

declare @returnstatus int

EXEC @returnstatus = checkstate 291

select @returnstatus

But we use integer expression with RETURN in a stored procedure and it works...

I am confused that will integer expression works only in stored procedure and not in sql statements :blink:

• Very interesting question, thanks!

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• kapil_kk (7/16/2013)

I am confused that will integer expression works only in stored procedure and not in sql statements :blink:

You are not the only one confused by the statement :unsure:

• DevilsChest (7/17/2013)

kapil_kk (7/16/2013)

You are not the only one confused by the statement :unsure:

OK, if you dont have any confusion then plz then give the answer to my queries

• kapil_kk (7/16/2013)

Hi,

as per the explanation- The stmt "return (select 5)" gives error because in a batch RETURN with integer_expression is not admitted (note: PARENTHESIS cast the SELECT to an integer_expression for RETURN).

AS

IF (SELECT StateProvince FROM Person.vAdditionalContactInfo WHERE BusinessEntityID = @param) = 'WA'

RETURN 1

ELSE

RETURN 2 ;

GO

select @returnstatus

It's easy: in a BATCH, you can use RETURN, but without a return value. In functions and procs you can use RETURN with an integer value!

Do you know the difference between BATCH, FUNCTS and PROCS? πŸ™‚

• Carlo Romagnano (7/17/2013)

kapil_kk (7/16/2013)

Hi,

AS

RETURN 1

ELSE

RETURN 2 ;

GO

select @returnstatus

It's easy: in a BATCH, you can use RETURN, but without a return value. In functions and procs you can use RETURN with an integer value!

Yes I know the differences between these....

Thanks its clear to me now πŸ™‚

• kapil_kk (7/17/2013)

Carlo Romagnano (7/17/2013)

kapil_kk (7/16/2013)

Hi,

AS

RETURN 1

ELSE

RETURN 2 ;

GO

select @returnstatus

Yes I know the differences between these....

Thanks its clear to me now πŸ™‚

I imagine the wording of the answer options (for example "Batch 1 returns 1") was chosen to allow that confusion. The reason that you can't use return with a value in a batch is that batches don't return scalar values, they return (possibly empty) result sets or they don't return anything or they raise an error. So technically every one of the answers options is misusing "return" in a way that makes it incorrect, and while it's fairly common usage to use return in that manner it is confusing to do so when discussion the RETURN primitive in SQL.

But it's a nice fun question anyway.

Tom

• Nice one.....

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• Nice qn.

• Excellent Question

Malleswarareddy
    I.T.Analyst
    MCITP(70-451)

• L' Eomot InversΓ© (7/17/2013)

The reason that you can't use return with a value in a batch is that batches don't return scalar values, they return (possibly empty) result sets or they don't return anything or they raise an error.

Thanks for the explanation, Tom. I had no idea batches could return anything at all.

Also, thank you Carlo for the question. I loved the trick with non-existing table! πŸ˜€

• Thanks Tom for the explanation.......

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply