Retiring from one team and onwards

• Hi

I came across this interesting area of Forum as I think the people with experience might have some advice for me.

My story is this. I was part of a 2nd Line Team covering basic SQL functions (writing SELECTs and UPDATE one-off fixes) and covering application support for our Legacy application. Then I was made to move departments so I'm now part of the 2nd Team that support my organisation's flag-ship product (but also covering the Legacy Product). I had a little training on the new product but not been shown much else like how to diagnose faults/run queries in the new product.

I kind of feel frustrated and bored in my new team. :discuss:On one-hand my manager said that I need to ask more questions and not to isolate myself but on the other, the Deputy Manager says that he cannot distribute me any work as everyone is so involved with all the issues at the moment. I asked if I could have a Mentor for a while but my Manager said no as then it could affect other consultant Stats if they spend too long helping me.

I bet this happens a lot to other people every now and then but I would like some advice on what I should do please. Has my time at this company expired?

Kind Regards

Matthew

• My advice for any experienced professional is never stay in a job where you feel bored or non-essential.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Eric M Russell - Wednesday, September 21, 2016 9:00 AM

My advice for any experienced professional is never stay in a job where you feel bored or non-essential.

This is gold.

I've been a DBA long enough I can get away with asking in the interview if they have enough work to keep me busy 🙂

Generally they say yes and in six months I'm down to 2 hours a day working, 6 hours reading SSC, DBA.Stack, etc.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Standing in the gap between Consultant and ContractorKevin3NFDallasDBAs.com/BlogWhy is my SQL Log File HUGE?!?![/url]The future of the DBA role...[/url]SQL Security Model in Plain English[/url]

• Hiya

Don't know if you are still in the same position (us retired members don't look at the forums every day).

I was once in your position but, because of financial and other issues, I couldn't afford to quit and there were few jobs about.  I decided to spend time digging around in Training/Development databases.  These were not in use (vital point!).  Sitting there with the databases and taking my time, I pretended to be a 'CSI' (nothing dodgy!) and I always backed up before I started.

The consequence was I learned all sorts of stuff about the databases and those people who couldn't or wouldn't help, ended  up coming to me for help.  What you might call 'The Emperor has no clothes' scenario.  Look upon it as an academic exercise while looking for another job!

Madame Artois

• S Hodkinson - Tuesday, February 14, 2017 2:52 AM

Hiya

Don't know if you are still in the same position (us retired members don't look at the forums every day).

I was once in your position but, because of financial and other issues, I couldn't afford to quit and there were few jobs about.  I decided to spend time digging around in Training/Development databases.  These were not in use (vital point!).  Sitting there with the databases and taking my time, I pretended to be a 'CSI' (nothing dodgy!) and I always backed up before I started.

The consequence was I learned all sorts of stuff about the databases and those people who couldn't or wouldn't help, ended  up coming to me for help.  What you might call 'The Emperor has no clothes' scenario.  Look upon it as an academic exercise while looking for another job!

Yes, all great chefs probably got their start by experimenting in their home kitchen.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Exactly

Madame Artois

• Kevin3NF - Tuesday, January 24, 2017 12:17 PM

Eric M Russell - Wednesday, September 21, 2016 9:00 AM

My advice for any experienced professional is never stay in a job where you feel bored or non-essential.

This is gold.

I've been a DBA long enough I can get away with asking in the interview if they have enough work to keep me busy 🙂

Generally they say yes and in six months I'm down to 2 hours a day working, 6 hours reading SSC, DBA.Stack, etc.

So it's not just me??  The story of my life seems to be jobs in which I operate at 75% capacity if I'm lucky and more often than not, 50% or less.  

And Eric, I need to read those words daily.  So true.  Time to move on....

• Heh... I'm only working half-time compared to my previous job... of 80 to 90 hours a week.  I would love a "boring" job for a change.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• No you wouldn't!  After 6 weeks of reading procedures that had been written by someone with no comprehension of database structures, you're climbing the walls!

That's why I said to start trying out different ideas on a test database (even if you have to create your own).  When the brain is used to working hard a quiet day is good, a quiet week dull but a quiet month you will get destructive (or is that just me?)

Madame Artois

• I was hired to mainly solve some Performance Issues until End of this year. Ofcourse I solved the biggest issues within 3 weeks. I still have work to do but less and with less stress than let's say probably an average C#-Developer has to cope with during the day / week / month.

Do I mind? No. If I ever get really bored I go back to a few of those long running SSIS Packages or something else and have a thought about how I could speed things up even more or simply look at SSC and advance further.

• Hi everyone im new here))

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply