Restricting users to read only at the SQL Server level

• Hi everyone.

I've recently started at another organization, and into a newly created position of DBA. I am the first DBA they have ever had.

The situation is a bit of a mess. They have a number of business analysts & developers who have sysadmin access to all production servers, not to mention other massive security issues, including BUILTIN\administrators still hanging around.

I'm trying to tackle these issues one at a time, starting with getting the developers out of the prod databases (they still think they should be making changes to prod on the fly themselves without full QA testing). Its been a tough battle, but I've managed to negitiate them down to read only access for all production databases. At this point I'm taking what I can get.

My question - is there are way I can set their logins at the server level, to have read only access to the databases? Obviously I know I can do it per database with the db_datareader role, but I was hoping for a nice instance wide approach. I was thinking of going crazy with a script in absence of anything else.

Oh, and I'm talking 2005 & 2008 SQL instances on a mix of Windows 2003 & 2008.

thanks, Mark

• Create a role group with read-only permissions and assign users to that role group.

Do you have RedGate's Multi-Script?

If not you may need to create a script which uses EXECUTE sp_msforeachdb

This may also provide a useful starting point:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/8/5/e/85eea4fa-b3bb-4426-97d0-7f7151b2011c/SQL2005SecBestPract.doc

Edit (again!): I re-read your requirement and realise my "advice" was specific to database level only...:w00t:

gsc_dba

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply