Restoring from a backup

• Hi,

I am trying to put a 2012 database on a new 2017 server. So, I thought that the easiest way would be to take the backup that I have for 2012 and restore it to 2017. However, it would not go. I tried just restoring it, and then made an empty database with the same name and tried restoring it to that. but it will not go.  I get the following error:

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlError: File "AFData1" cannot be restored over the existing "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL14.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\DATA\DMPCRU.mdf". Reissue the RESTORE statement using WITH REPLACE to overwrite pre-existing files, or WITH MOVE to identify an alternate location. (Microsoft.SqlServer.SmoExtended)

SO I went to Options and selected the overwrite option and then I get this:

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlError: RESTORE detected an error on page (0:0) in database "DMPCRU" as read from the backup set. (Microsoft.SqlServer.SmoExtended)

Not sure what I can do from here, to get the database on this new server.

Thank you

• itmasterw 60042 wrote:

SO I went to Options and selected the overwrite option and then I get this:

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlError: RESTORE detected an error on page (0:0) in database "DMPCRU" as read from the backup set. (Microsoft.SqlServer.SmoExtended)

Based on the second error you reported, I'm inclined to say you've either got a bad / corrupt backup file, or the source database is corrupt.  First thing I'd try would be to drop the database on the SQL2017 system, verify the files are gone, then take a fresh backup on the SQL2012 system and try to restore it.

Don't create an empty database or anything, just try to restore it.  If you get any sort of an error, do a RESTORE VERIFYONLY and see what that gives you.

The next step would be a bit more work, do a DBCC CHECKDB against the source database on the SQL2012.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply