restore database dialog

• I have a few servers where in my restore database dialog/wizard for some reason the default path to the files for "restore as" is missing the "\" for the file path.  I have my data on a S: drive and my logs on a L: drive so in the dialog it always shows restore as "S:FILENAME" rather than "S:\FILENAME"  not a huge deal, I have to go and edit the text box but would like to figure out where I have the defaults set so I can change this?  Pic is attached as well.  Thanks.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
  • Possibly your datafiles not set correctly.

what does this show?

select 
    InstanceDefaultDataPath = serverproperty('InstanceDefaultDataPath'),
    InstanceDefaultLogPath = serverproperty('InstanceDefaultLogPath')
  • sounds like you want to right click on you r server and go for "poperties"

then go to database settings - these are the default locations, but any existing jobs might not pick this up

have you considered using scripting the restore? you are more in control.

MVDBA

• mlorek wrote:

I have a few servers where in my restore database dialog/wizard for some reason the default path to the files for "restore as" is missing the "\" for the file path.  I have my data on a S: drive and my logs on a L: drive so in the dialog it always shows restore as "S:FILENAME" rather than "S:\FILENAME"  not a huge deal, I have to go and edit the text box but would like to figure out where I have the defaults set so I can change this?  Pic is attached as well.  Thanks.

Really, really bad idea to store files on the root of any drive even from a pure OS standpoint.  Always store it to a directory.  It would also help you with the "\" thing.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Thanks for the replies guys, I get s:\ and l:\ when I run those queries.  I have already checked the default paths thats why this is so confusing to me.    Jeff, why a bad idea at the root?

• mlorek wrote:

Thanks for the replies guys, I get s:\ and l:\ when I run those queries.  I have already checked the default paths thats why this is so confusing to me.    Jeff, why a bad idea at the root?

The biggest reason, which has been true since DOS (or even CPM) hit the streets decades ago, is that there are some OS files that live in the root directory.  If you have a bunch of other files there, it can take the OS (DOS, Windows, whatever) a lot longer to find those important files (normally, totally hidden but not always).  That, of course, mostly only affects the main system drive (usually, C:)   I'm not a deep study of what's on the root of NTFS drives but, IIRC, there are still "Boot Sectors" and "Partition Sectors" and volume information on the root of each drive whether it's the system drive or a "Pure" data drive.

A lot of people consider it to be a "bad practice" and other's consider it to be a bit lazy and not using much forethought (directory planning), especially with volume sizes that measure in Terabytes.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• root paths

I once failed a job interview where I was set a technical challenge to install sql and create a database (simple I know)

It was on a virtual machine with only a c: drive,  I forgot to put my data files in a folder - they were on root...nothing worked, I had to reset the VM and start again - it was something to do with sql locking down and reserving the root drives.

MVDBA

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply