Restoration of SQL 2005 database across builds

• Has anyone had any experience restoring a database from SQL 2005 SP3 CU7 (9.00.4273) to a base level SQL 2005 SP2 (9.00.3042)? The database in question would just be a user database and not a system database.

Any pitfalls to watch out for? I'm personally thinking this would be a safe operation and that the 4273 database would be fine on a 3042 instance considering both are SQL 2005 and I'm not working with any system databases.

Any tips or hints are welcomed.

Thank you.

• I haven't encountered any problems restoring a backup to prior interim version, only bewteen major versions, e.g. SQL 2005 to SQL 2000.

Greg

• Any SP or Cu or hotfix would address issues or provide enhancements to the installation of SQL server and how it manages the db operations. This should be sufficient to assume that your restore should be fine. Also, to be damn sure about it, I guess you can try it on a test box first.

HTH...

The_SQL_DBA
    MCTS

"Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives."

• I must agree with The_SQL_DBA. It is always the best to try out things in test and then depending on the results implement the changes in production.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply