Restarting SQL Server service in a clustered envrionment

• I need to reduce the number of concurrent connections server wide (Server Properties/Connections) and the documentation states that to make the change take effect, I'll need to restart the SQL Server service. Does anyone know for sure whether or not restarting the SQL Server service on the active node of a clustered SQL Server 2012 environment (2 nodes) will precipitate a rollover to the inactive node?

• That depends upon if you select "Take this service or application off-line" or "move this service or application to another node". Move this to another node is a failover while take this off-line stops sql/server.

• I just went ahead and rolled the server during off hours...thanks though.

• Siberian Khatru (5/24/2016)

Does anyone know for sure whether or not restarting the SQL Server service on the active node of a clustered SQL Server 2012 environment (2 nodes) will precipitate a rollover to the inactive node?

No, a controlled restart will not initiate a failover. In some cases even a failure will not initiate an immediate failover, but a restart attempt on the current node first.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply