Resource Governor

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Resource Governor

• useful info! thanks for the article!

• Thanks for the article.

I have question about the Effective Max %. Assume we have no workload in PoolA, PoolB, and PoolC. Can the Default pool get 100% reources or will it be limited to an Effective Max of 25% regardless? In otherwords, can the behavior be as follows. Give the Default pool 100% resources until a workload comes along from PoolA, PoolB, and/or PoolC and then reduce the Default's resources.

• It would only limit the resource when there is competition to acquire resources.

• Thanks for the thread, I almost finished reading it

Then I tried to enable my Resource Governor and I got an exception, which explains it

Now I don't have to finish reading the article 😛 as we won't see Enterprise edition anytime soon

The resource governor is not available in this edition of SQL Server. You can manipulate resource governor metadata but you will not be able to apply resource governor configuration.

Only Enterprise edition of SQL Server supports resource

See the end of this message for details on invoking

just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************

Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.FailedOperationException: Alter failed for ResourceGovernor 'Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.ObjectKeyBase'. ---> Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Common.ExecutionFailureException: An exception occurred while executing a Transact-SQL statement or batch. ---> System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: 'ALTER RESOURCE GOVERNOR RECONFIGURE' failed. The resource governor is not available in this edition of SQL Server. You can manipulate resource governor metadata but you will not be able to apply resource governor configuration. Only Enterprise edition of SQL Server supports resource governor.

at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Bo

SQLServerNewbieMCITP: Database Administrator SQL Server 2005
  • Very well written article! Clear, concise and easy to understand. Thank you.

Nicole Bowman

Nothing is forever.

• Thank you for the article. This is a long overdue great new feature. One instance I can immediately think of where it would be useful is when users need access to query production server. Bad practice? I know! But we all live in a real world. Throttling down their queries using resource governor approach described in the article would be a great safeguard to have!

• Nice article with good info....

• I found the article little wordy (nice article though), wish you could add some pictures (may be visio diagrams) explaining some of the things described, which would have made the reading little more easier.

paul

• When you create your classifier code, can you assign pools according to database? We're looking at copying our ERP database to a different server for reporting purposes and, since "Joe/Jane User" can report from this, I'm anticipating some really lousy queries written against it. Limiting their ability to eat the server could be a very desirable thing.

-----
    [font="Arial"]Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves or we know where we can find information upon it. --Samuel Johnson[/font]

• Pls see the KB article from Microsoft

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/972200

• Hi,

I need some advice on SQL 2008 server, We have 2 different applications and have 2 databases, and have one Windows Physical server at primary site. Is it better to have 2 instances and then one D/B per instance or is it better to have one instance with 2 D/B's on it. We also need to take reglular backup and both DB's wil be connected to SAN as well. and for failover we have a secondary site where another physical server would be deployed both D/B's wouldbe in passive mode and maintained through MSCS.

So, With the help of Resource Governer, 1) can the hardware resource be dedicated to a database, if I have Two Instances on Single server with one database per instance?

2) can the hardware resource be dedicated to a database, if I have Single Instance with two databases?

Please reply soon.

• Hi,

I have a requirement to set the resource governor to utilize the resources for 90%. I am new to this and need an urgent help how to configure via SSMS.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply