Reporting Services - Limiting Records Per Page

• Hi friends,

I have tried the expression as mentioned above

= Ceiling(Rownumber(nothing)/10)) this worked perfectly in SSRS 2005.

But can some please let me know how to do it in SSRS 2008? There when I right lick the table, it is showing column group and row group separately.

Thanks & Regards,
    MC

• Hi All,

I have tried many options in SSRS 2008 to do this but no luck.. 🙁

Can some one help me on this please...

Thanks & Regards,
    MC

• You can add a row group with a break on the RowNumber expression. However, you have to remove the breaking expression from the Sorting options (the group expression is automatically added to the sorting option).

Peter

• Hi Peter Thanks for your reply.

It didn't work.

This is what I have tried:

1) In my tablix selected the detail row

2) Right Click --> RowGroup--> Group Properties

3) In General tab, for Group Expression I have give as

=Ceiling(Rownumber(Nothing)/10)

After this when I checked nothing happened, all the records are coming as usual.

4)Then in the Page Break tab I checked the check box " Between Each Instance of the Group "

But after this records came 1 in one page like 100 pages !! as I have total 100 records.

Is the steps what I tried is correct? If not could you please correct me...

Thanks & Regards,
    MC

• only4mithunc (12/8/2010)

Hi Peter Thanks for your reply.

It didn't work.

This is what I have tried:

1) In my tablix selected the detail row

2) Right Click --> RowGroup--> Group Properties

3) In General tab, for Group Expression I have give as

=Ceiling(Rownumber(Nothing)/10)

After this when I checked nothing happened, all the records are coming as usual.

4)Then in the Page Break tab I checked the check box " Between Each Instance of the Group "

But after this records came 1 in one page like 100 pages !! as I have total 100 records.

Is the steps what I tried is correct? If not could you please correct me...

The problem you describe have been discussed earlier in this thread. Don't set the group expression on the Group Properties of the detail row. You really have to add a new row group to the detail row. Do the following:

1) add a parent group to the detail row (without header and footer).

2) set the group expression of the parent group to =Ceiling(Rownumber(Nothing)/10)

3) select the just added row group and remove the sorting expression in the Group Properties (on the Sorting tab)

4) in the Page Break tab check the check box " Between Each Instance of the Group

That should do.

Edit: added step to set page break

• Hi Peter,

In 2005 I'm able to do this as mentioned earlier, but the problem is with 2008 .

I have followed the steps you have mentioned.

The sorting tab also was showing the same expression = Ceiling(Rownumber(Nothing)/10) ,then I have removed it.

And completed the steps given by you.

But I'm getting an error as below:

"

The Value expression for the tablix ‘Tablix7’ contains an error: [BC30654] 'Return' statement in a Function, Get, or Operator must return a value.

"

Thanks & Regards,
    MC

• only4mithunc (12/8/2010)

Hi Peter,

In 2005 I'm able to do this as mentioned earlier, but the problem is with 2008 .

I have followed the steps you have mentioned.

The sorting tab also was showing the same expression = Ceiling(Rownumber(Nothing)/10) ,then I have removed it.

And completed the steps given by you.

But I'm getting an error as below:

"

The Value expression for the tablix ‘Tablix7’ contains an error: [BC30654] 'Return' statement in a Function, Get, or Operator must return a value.

"

I guess you did not remove the sort expression but just cleared the expression value (leaving the '=' behind). On the Sorting tab select the entire row for the sort expression (by clicking the 'Sort by' text) and then click the Delete button.

Peter

• Thank you so much Peter,

Yes you are correct I have done it like that, leaving the "=" sign there, now I have deleted the entire row then it worked!!!!

One more small question, now at the left most side of the report I can see that Grouping column, and in each page it will show 1-10 as I have 10 pages. As I don't want to show this column I have selected that column and visibility property is made to false, now it is not showing but when I export to excel, in each page I can see that blank column.

Can we do something (rather than making the column width very very small ? ) so that this blank column wont come in the report out put as well as while exporting to excel?

Thanks & Regards,
    MC

• Why not just remove the column? Right click on the column header, select 'Delete Columns', select 'Delete columns only'.

Peter

• Thats correct 🙂

Thanks Peter, one more question, in the tablix property I have checked the "Repeat row header , Repeat column header " but the Column header is coming only in the firs page...

Should I do the settings some where else.. ?

Thanks & Regards,
    MC

• Right below the main design window pane is a small pane called the grouping pane. On the right side of the grouping pane is a small drop down arrow, click it and choose advanced. This will show all the row groupings in a graphical format. Choose the appropriate row group and then set its property to RepeatOnNewPage.

• Thanks Daniel,

When I tried the option you have mentioned it worked, with making "Keep With Group " Option = After

Can I know what is the significance of "Keep With Group" property?

Thanks & Regards,
    MC

• I believe the Keep with group is supposed to keep groups of data together on a page when possible. For example if you had a group that was order information and a detail section with the details of the order such as products and price. Keep with group is supposed to keep the group and the detail together on a page to make reading the report easier.

• Thanks Daniel,

Why I asked was , when I make "Keep With Group " = Before/None , the column header was not repeasting to all the pages, it was comming only in the first page, but when I made it "After" , the header was comming in each pages...

Is this is the it works? Or do you think I made some mistakes so where?

Thanks & Regards,
    MC

• good solution it works

Group on

=Ceiling(RowNumber(nothing)/3)

Set the group page break property

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply