Reporting Services: Drawing a Buffer on a Map

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Reporting Services: Drawing a Buffer on a Map

• Nice topic and presentation.

What other tools have you used for mapping data?

412-977-3526 call/text

• Hi, thank you for your post.

So far I haven't used any other tools for representing spatial data in SQL Server.

Now I'm trying Datazen, and waiting for the General Availability of Power BI, to test map features of both products.

• Nice article. I have no experience with goespatial data in SQL server, so wanted to give this a try. I've followed the steps exactly at least 10 times, but am getting an odd error in SSRS.

In SSMS, with the sample create database script, there is an interesting new output result, spatial results. So, the spatial data is good.

However, following all steps in SSRS exactly, when dragging a map to the design surface, selecting SQL server spatial query, I receive an error "the selected dataset does not contain any spatial field." Very odd. The database returns a spatial field and so does the dataset when opening it in the query designer.

Could this be a setting in my Visual Studio SSRS setup or something else I should look at?

• This is all what I need to implement in my system! Thanks a lot!

• This link was handy for doing a map with excel:

http://www.clearlyandsimply.com/clearly_and_simply/2009/08/choropleth-map-template-usa-by-counties.html

412-977-3526 call/text

• joshua.dancy (7/22/2015)

Nice article. I have no experience with goespatial data in SQL server, so wanted to give this a try. I've followed the steps exactly at least 10 times, but am getting an odd error in SSRS.

In SSMS, with the sample create database script, there is an interesting new output result, spatial results. So, the spatial data is good.

However, following all steps in SSRS exactly, when dragging a map to the design surface, selecting SQL server spatial query, I receive an error "the selected dataset does not contain any spatial field." Very odd. The database returns a spatial field and so does the dataset when opening it in the query designer.

Could this be a setting in my Visual Studio SSRS setup or something else I should look at?

Hi Joshua, are you sure you are selecting the correct dataset when choosing the source for the spatial data?

What version of Visual Studio are you using? My demo was written by VS Community 2013, but I think any version from 2008, should work well.

Please let me know if you can resolve this issue.

• robert.sterbal 56890 (7/22/2015)

This link was handy for doing a map with excel:

http://www.clearlyandsimply.com/clearly_and_simply/2009/08/choropleth-map-template-usa-by-counties.html%5B/quote%5D

Hi Robert, I never considered Excel, as in my company we produce and distribute reports through the Intranet, with visibility rules depending from the user's role.

• vithorsolutionsti (7/22/2015)

This is all what I need to implement in my system! Thanks a lot!

Thank to you. I'm glad it can be useful.

• Excel is a very handy modeler, allowing business people to develop the reports they want to see, and then handing the internals over to a developer.

412-977-3526 call/text

• Andrea -

Appreciate the response. I'm using VS2013 Ultimate, update 4. I moved to another machine with the exact same version of VS and am no longer experiencing the issue. No clue why, but glad it's no longer happening.

thanks,

Josh

• Do not realized need to use Sql Server 2012 forward version. Is it possible to do same thing in SSRS 2008 R2?

--------------------------------------
    ;-)“Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it.” ― Confucius

• chgn01 (7/23/2015)

Do not realized need to use Sql Server 2012 forward version. Is it possible to do same thing in SSRS 2008 R2?

Yes. It is possibile. I made the same reports at work using SQL Server 2008R2 and Visual Studio 2008.

• Good job with this article. I'll need to reread it though to really understand it all.

• How I can specify point color in city table ?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply