Reporting services and security

• First, I apologize if this post is too vague, but this is kind of a vague issue. My department wants to have Reporting Services, but the IT department has been stonewalling this for some time now. Since I am in charge of managing the sql databases for the department, it is assumed I know most everything about computers. So my supervisor wants me to come up with counter arguments against IT for us to be able to deploy reports. I've been looking through the forums, but since you all have more experience than my little 3-day class, I can't follow all the acronyms thrown out there. I don't need to know how to make a report, just an understanding of why IT don't want anyone but them deploying report.

Anyone know of a white pages article with a really basic -- for absolute dummies -- on reporting services and security issues? Thank you, Amy

• I think in an environment where there are DBAs and developers it makes sense to separate deployment from developers. DBAs are the guardians of the database and it is their responsibility that everything going into the database is safe and will not harm the data. However if you are the DBA & developer and you are deploying to your own server then I have to wonder. If you are deploying to one of their servers then they are playing their role properly. The thing is in many companies the lines are not really all that clear and developers regularly deploy, and even manage servers they work on. From a Sarbanes-Oxley point of view this is a no-no.

Probably the easy, and politically correct approach, is to give IT a file to deploy and ask them to check it and deploy it. If they don't have anyone with the skills to do that then you can go to your boss and make the argument that you should have the ability to deploy your work.

• Daniel Bowlin (4/13/2012)

The thing is in many companies the lines are not really all that clear and developers regularly deploy.

You hit the nail right on the head with that one.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply