Replace double quotes in derieved column SSIS

• trying to replace double quotes in SSIS derived column using replace:

My input file has header and I need to replace EXTRA double quotes with null in column F.

Input file:

#A|B|C|D|E|F|G

"2023-02-20"|"ABC"|"123"||"4 - Stop Doing"|"UGG"|"1234"

"2023-12-20"|"ABC"|"456"||"3 - Change Offers"|"1234-28" "|"1234"

"2021-12-20"|"ABC"|"714"||"3 - Change Offers"|"0076-26" "|"1234"

"2020-12-20"|"ABC"|"717"||"3 - Change Offers"|"12543-26" "|"1234"

"2021-12-20"|"ABC"|"713"||"3 - Change Offers"|"353-26" "|"1234"

"2023-12-20"|"ABC"|"246"||"3 - Change Offers"|"1-26" "|"1234"

Desired Output:

"2023-02-20"|"ABC"|"123"||"4 - Stop Doing"|"UGG"|"1234"

"2023-12-20"|"ABC"|"456"||"3 - Change Offers"|"1234-28"|"1234"

"2021-12-20"|"ABC"|"714"||"3 - Change Offers"|"0076-26"|"1234"

"2020-12-20"|"ABC"|"717"||"3 - Change Offers"|"12543-26"|"1234"

"2021-12-20"|"ABC"|"713"||"3 - Change Offers"|"353-26"|"1234"

"2023-12-20"|"ABC"|"246"||"3 - Change Offers"|"1-26"|"1234"

I have used:

REPLACE(trim(F),"\"\"","\"\) it did not work for me

REPLACE(F,"\" ","") it did not work for me

• Please try this:

REPLACE( F , "\"", "" )

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Note also that there is a difference between an empty string ("") and NULL.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• If you're using >= 2017, the TRIM function in T-SQL will handle the removal of double quotes and spaces and whatever other leading/trailing characters you may have to work with.  It's much better than just using REPLACE because you might not want to remove "embedded" double quotes.  TRIM will only remove them if they qualify as leading or trailing characters and will leave "embedded" double quotes alone.

[EDIT] And, to be sure, I'm not a DAX/SSIS type of person and don't know if TRIM works the same way is SSIS as it would for T-SQL, in this case.  According to the REPLACE example that Phil posted, I'm thinking not.

[EDIT2] I also didn't look at the last two lines of the original post.  The REPLACE example there has an extra space in it that I don't believe should be there and Phil's example doesn't include that extra space and will likely work just fine.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• No, it did not work and that was the reason I took time to post it here. I have tried many options including substring.

• The extra space was intentional to replace double quotes with space to avoid trim. Also I had put the space manually in the file to try this out.

• OK, just to be clear, are you saying that you want to change this

"1234-28" "

to this

"1234-28"

?

• This expression will do that:

right(F,3) == "\" \""? replace(F,"\" \"","\""): F

• lokesh.hyperion@gmail.com wrote:

No, it did not work and that was the reason I took time to post it here. I have tried many options including substring.

Yeah... sorry... admittedly, I only took a quick look but what you were looking for wasn't obvious to me.  I see it now.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply