Renaming Default Instance (2017)

•  

Hi,

We have a scenario whereby a cloud server is provisioned by a hosting company with SQL Server 2017 Web, and set to the default instance.

We have an application to make use, but it requires a specifically named instance.

At the moment, the hosting company aren't really getting it. We don;t get access to installation media etc, so cannot install a new instance.

Probably not, but anyone know whether it is possible to rename the default instance, or turn default instance into named instance?

Thanks,

Matthew

• Matthew

I think I've wondered this myself in the past, but ended up having to reinstall.

Does your application not allow you to specify a connection string?

John

• Hi John,

Thank you for your response.

Yes, it does, although we are concerned about lines and lines of legacy code that may rely on the instance name being specified.

If we can't rename it, then we'll have to look at the application, but I know what would be quickest and safest if it were possible!

Matthew

• I was going to say use an alias too, then you can just repoint it later if you need to.

• Thank you to Eddy and Beatrice for your kind responses. I shall look into those options further.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply