Renaming a procedure

• Hugo Kornelis (12/12/2012)

As happens more often with a Question of the Day: Good idea, but badly executed.

If you exactly follow the instructions, executing the 'alter proc' script after making the change will result in an error (because you are trying to alter a procedure that doesn't exist). And then the statements 3 and 4 will of course also return an error.

Since that option was not available, I had to second-guess what happened when the author submitted the question. The most logical explanation was that he already had a stored procedure 'rename_by_alter' when he started creting this question, so instead of altering the proc he thought he changed, he altered that other already existing proc. I then picked my answers based on that assumption, and I got it right.

Lessons learned:

1. Using sp_rename to rename a programmability item does not change its definition in sys.sql_modules. That's why Books Online recommends to use DROP / CREATE instead.

2. You can't use ALTER PROC to rename a procedure.

3. Submitters of a Question of the Day should always test their questions on an empty database before submitting their question.

+1

+1

+1

+1

As happens more often with a Question of the Day: Good idea, but badly executed.

If you exactly follow the instructions, executing the 'alter proc' script after making the change will result in an error (because you are trying to alter a procedure that doesn't exist). And then the statements 3 and 4 will of course also return an error.

Since that option was not available, I had to second-guess what happened when the author submitted the question. The most logical explanation was that he already had a stored procedure 'rename_by_alter' when he started creting this question, so instead of altering the proc he thought he changed, he altered that other already existing proc. I then picked my answers based on that assumption, and I got it right.

Lessons learned:

1. Using sp_rename to rename a programmability item does not change its definition in sys.sql_modules. That's why Books Online recommends to use DROP / CREATE instead.

3. Submitters of a Question of the Day should always test their questions on an empty database before submitting their question.

+1

As often happens with a QotD, the real lesson is learned by reading Hugo's contribution.

Thank you.

• sipas (12/12/2012)

Hugo Kornelis (12/12/2012)

Lessons learned:

+1

As often happens with a QotD, the real lesson is learned by reading Hugo's contribution.

Thank you.

+1

Strongly agree!

~ Lokesh Vij

Guidelines for quicker answers on T-SQL question[/url]
    Guidelines for answers on Performance questions

Link to my Blog Post --> www.SQLPathy.com[/url]

Follow me @Twitter

• right...

I learned a lot from Hugo's explanation in discussion 🙂

• sipas (12/12/2012)

Thank you.

Amen to that!

Using sp_rename to rename a programmability item does not change its definition in sys.sql_modules. That's why Books Online recommends to use DROP / CREATE instead.

I've never quite understood that. To my mind it's a bug. Presumably MS don't think that it is, as they've documented the behaviour, but what justification is there for it?

• Toreador (12/12/2012)

Using sp_rename to rename a programmability item does not change its definition in sys.sql_modules. That's why Books Online recommends to use DROP / CREATE instead.

I've never quite understood that. To my mind it's a bug. Presumably MS don't think that it is, as they've documented the behaviour, but what justification is there for it?

In my opinion, it would have been a bug if it had not been mentioned in the documentation. I better think it as limitation of sp_rename for procedure.

~ demonfox

• Toreador (12/12/2012)

The factual answer: No idea.

The speculative answer: Documenting behaviour is one way to "close" a bug deemed not important enough to warrant fixing.

Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server/Data Platform MVP (2006-2016)
    Visit my SQL Server blog: https://sqlserverfast.com/blog/
    SQL Server Execution Plan Reference: https://sqlserverfast.com/epr/

• Totally bogus QotD!! If you follow the directions you cannot get the results. If you stray from the directions then you are making up your own QotD. This is a real turn off to me who likes the directions and questions a bit more accurate than I have seen lately in the QotD.

• I agree with demanfox if it is mentioned in the doc then its the limitation of sp_rename not a bug.

🙂

The speculative answer: Documenting behaviour is one way to "close" a bug deemed not important enough to warrant fixing.

Makes sense. I wish I could get away with that approach!

• Sorry but this is poorly worded and poorly thought out question. How do you alter a procedure that does not exist?

• its already discussed 😛

• IMO - Its a bug!

I complained to MS about this a couple of years ago and loads of other people have too (see MS Connect site) hence the document update.

I think a documentation update is a bit of a cop out but other than as a quick fix with a proper fix in the next release but this has been around since SQL 2005 at least (probably longer - I don't know)

A system table refresh following a call to the rename function shouldn't be too hard - should it?

Dave

David Bridge
    David Bridge Technology Limited
    www.davidbridgetechnology.com

• As most have already said, I had to guess since the altering of a non-existent procedure results in an error. luckily I guess correctly. 🙂

Thanks,

ToddR

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply