Remove a Filegroup

• πŸ˜€ Thank you -- worked awesome for me!

• I am having a similar issue and I do have partitioned tables. However, I removed the partitioned tables (stored procedures, schema, etc.) prior to trying to remove the file/file group. When I run the query posted, no results are returned. However, I still cannot delete the file group. Any other suggestions?

• what is the error you are getting?

• You might not be able to drop the filegroup because something still remains on it. Here are a couple of queries copied from other locations on the internet that helped me discern what was left on the filegroups:

--Find objects on Filegroups:

---------------------------------------------

SELECT

TableName = OBJECT_NAME(p.object_id),

PartitionNo = p.partition_number,

FileGroup = FILEGROUP_NAME(a.data_space_id)

--,IndexName = i.name

FROM sys.allocation_units a

INNER JOIN sys.partitions p ON a.container_id = CASE WHEN a.type in(1,3) THEN p.hobt_id ELSE p.partition_id END AND p.object_id > 1024

LEFT JOIN sys.indexes i ON i.object_id = p.object_id AND i.index_id = p.index_id

ORDER BY TableName, p.partition_number, FileGroup

--Find HIDDEN objects on Filegroups:

----------------------------------------------------------------

select case when indexes.type_desc in ('HEAP','CLUSTERED')

then 'Table-' + indexes.type_desc

else ' NC Index' end as indexType,

rtrim(cast(

case when indexProperty(objects.object_id,indexes.name,'IsUnique') = 1

then 'unique ' else '' end +

case when isNull(objectProperty(object_id(schemas.name + '.'

+ indexes.name),'IsConstraint'),0) = 1

then 'constraint ' else '' end +

case when indexProperty(objects.object_id,indexes.name,'IsAutoStatistics') = 1

then 'auto ' else '' end +

case when indexProperty(objects.object_id,indexes.name,'IsStatistics') = 1

then 'statistics ' else '' end +

case when indexProperty(objects.object_id,indexes.name,'IsHypothetical') = 1

then 'hypothetical ' else '' end

as varchar(30))) as indexProperties,

schemas.name + '.' + objects.name as tableName,

coalesce(indexes.name,'') as indexName,

filegroups.name as filegroup

from sys.indexes as indexes

join sys.objects

on indexes.object_id = objects.object_id

join sys.schemas

on objects.schema_id = schemas.schema_id

join sys.filegroups as filegroups

on indexes.data_space_id = filegroups.data_space_id

where objectproperty(indexes.object_id,'IsMSShipped') = 0

order by tableName, case when indexes.type_desc in ('HEAP','CLUSTERED') then 0 else 1 end

• Feeling pretty stupid. :rolleyes:

I was getting the file group not empty error. I had not deleted my partition scheme or partition function yet. I did not realize they were tied to the file groups, but sort of makes sense they are. Anyhow, once I removed the scheme and function, I was able to delete the file groups. Thanks for quick reply. (There are maybe five people out of 40 here today. πŸ™‚ )

• glad I could help!

• Grasshopper you are a star! I have had the same problem on our production DB for weeks. Empty file, delete file, empty filegroup, "The filegroup 'UserData' cannot be removed because it is not empty.

"

Thanks to your script I have found a table that claims to have a PK on the old filegroup. Moving that to a new filegroup had no effect. Dropping the PK had no effect. Then (by adding ,* to the end of your script) I noticed that there was still a NULL entry for the table with "LOB_DATA" in the type_desc column.

There was indeed a column defined as nvarchar(max) and checking the maximum datalength in that column for the table, it showed me 2338 as the maximum used, so I changed the column to nvarchar(2400) instead, and without any other changes I was finally able to drop the empty filegroup. πŸ˜€

SSC-Journeyman, I hope this helps you too:

SELECT

TableName = OBJECT_NAME(p.object_id),

PartitionNo = p.partition_number,

FileGroup = FILEGROUP_NAME(a.data_space_id)

,IndexName = i.name

, *

FROM sys.allocation_units a

INNER JOIN sys.partitions p ON a.container_id = CASE WHEN a.type in(1,3) THEN p.hobt_id ELSE p.partition_id END AND p.object_id > 1024

LEFT JOIN sys.indexes i ON i.object_id = p.object_id AND i.index_id = p.index_id

ORDER BY FileGroup, TableName, p.partition_number

Now that just leaves me one more tricky filegroup to sort out - does anyone know why my empty PRIMARY filegroup is still taking up 18GB of disk space and will not shrink any further?!?

Cheers,

Greenius

• with ur work around same problem exists

can any please tell how to remove filegroup from DB.

Before removing i am taking backup of database then removing filegroup for making that production table less heavy .

Also i will be putting restoring that backup if any problem in the database

i am creating a archival engine where there is automatic backup and restoring when needed

• I believe you have to take the following steps first

1. Drop all the tables first

2. Remove file/files from the filegroup

3. REMOVE FILEGROUP

Thanks,

Sponge

• I actually found an easy solution to this fix since I had the same issue.

I was trying to remove the filegroup [fg_LMeterDetail_13] but got the "cannot be removed because it is not empty" error. This filegroup's only sin was being associated with a partition scheme. This filegroup had no data.

So after finding there's no opposite to NEXT USED, I experimented and found that you can issue another NEXT USED but pointing it to the previous filegroup:

ALTER PARTITION SCHEME ps_LMeterDetail

NEXT USED [fg_LMeterDetail_12]

After that, I was able to issue the REMOVE FILEGROUP which then automatically removed it from the partition scheme

ALTER DATABASE [WACOE] REMOVE

FILEGROUP [fg_LMeterDetail_13]

Voila! It worked!

You're welcome everyone.

Tung Dang
    Azure and SQL Server Solutions Provider
    DataZip

• amy.walsh wrote:

You might not be able to drop the filegroup because something still remains on it. Here are a couple of queries copied from other locations on the internet that helped me discern what was left on the filegroups:

Gotta love it.Β  12 years after you published this and it found what was "stuck".Β  I rebuilt the file group and dropped the index from the table that wasn't supposed to exist any more and dropped the table that also didn't exist (it HAD let me drop the file but not the filegroup previously) and then I was able to drop the file (again) and, finally, the file.

Thank you Amy Walsh!

What really ticks me off is this is 10 years after the fact andΒ  MS STILL hasn't fixed this issue!

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply