Reinstalling SQL Server on my Vista machine

• I have Vista Ultimate, which did have SQL 2005 Developer Edition on it. I tried to install service pack 1 for Vista and had major problems. I called Microsoft support and with their help determined that I could not recover my PC configuration. So, we've reinstalled Vista and I am now in the process of reapplying SP1 on what is a fresh install of Vista. However, we installed it by not doing a "wipe and load". Instead we've installed it and left all of the files there, so all of the profiles' data are under a folder called Windows.old, etc.

Anyway, the original installation of SQL 2005 Developer Edition is under Program Files\SQL Server (something or other). I want to reinstall SQL 2005, so should I just delete the old Program Files\SQL Server structure, or what?

Rod

• I had the same problem with my initial install of Vista (pre-SP1). For what it's worth - I found that SQL Server would definitely reuse what was there, and wasn't particularly screwed up by finding it there. The only reason I could think of to remove it would be if SQL Server wasn't running okay prior to the update.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply