Regarding table partition

• Hi all,

I am trying to partition a table on year and the data type is int length 4, when i run the wizard and do estimate storage in the row count all the data is pointing to primary, not it to the designated file group.

Thank you

• Did you create additional filegroups? Did you create extra files and add them to the primary FG?

• yes I created additional file groups

• harita (12/23/2013)

yes I created additional file groups

Did your "Partition Schema" identify which file groups would be used for each partition?

Also, why on this good green Earth did you pick an INT column for the year? That's not going to do much for you in your queries. The partitions should be formed on something like a "CreatedOn" column with a DATETIME datatype.

Trying not to be negative here but the addition of that column makes it sound like you might not actually understand all of the ramifications of partitioning. For example, are you aware that every UNIQUE index (that includes the PK) must have the partitioning column added to it or it will be added automatically?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply