Reformat via query?

• freaked out a couple of coworkers :D... told them right before they officially were abt to document/put a call to the dba..

• That one shines Nick. Probably one of the best queries ever written.

Jamie

• It is possible to replicate the results, Open up a query window to a database and type in "SELECT * FROM sys.master_files", then open "activity monitor" and kill the SPID which corresponds to the Query window.

"BLAHBLAHBLAH" works too... anything that will give you red text in the Messages window to start with

P.S. Putting the question in the category 'Humour' kinda gives it away though 😉

Well... and that was actually why I put it in humor. I guess I'm a little gun shy after some of the QODs have been hammered by upset people missing it due to a misunderstanding, and this is somewhat obscure and not that technical in nature.

• Very good one! I remember back when Windows 3.1 came out and I was still learning Windows someone gave a program to me and said if I install it on my computer I'll have some cool screensavers and games to play. Well, gullable as I was I installed it and all of a sudden an error message popped up saying the program cause a general failure only had an OK button. So, I clicked OK and another error came up and only OK to click and it happened one after the other until my whole screen became distorted and eventually black. I thought I had lost my computer until another message came up saying: "HAHAHA!!! I bet you had a good fright!!! Relax it's a joke!". Needless to say I was to relieved to be cross! I still want to pull a prank like that on someone!

:-PManie Verster
    Developer
    Johannesburg
    South Africa

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. - Holy Bible
    I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times. - Everett Mckinley Dirkson (Well, I am trying. - Manie Verster)

• I also found it amusing, but how does one choose a "correct" answer when the type is humor? To me, while this may be the most logical explanation, the others were also funny. Does one get points regardless of the answer chosen? Should someone get points regardless of the answer chosen?

• Yes, Category said it all....:hehe:

• "A coworker prank where the error text was directly typed into the Result Messages tab"

What? Can't do.

you can write some text there, but not in red. The "correct" explicitly says "error text", which is in red.

The correct answer would be a trojan, which reformats drive C, returns message and then passes the request to original sqlserver, which in turn returns the error message, because drive C is unexpectedly empty.

Can't format a drive in use? Right, the format command won't do it, but there are still ways to do it.

A trojan itself could be just a prank and just return the error message without doing any damage, but type the error text in red directly into message windows, nak.

😛

• Can't do. you can write some text there, but not in red

I wondered how it was done (in earlier post in this thread), and it was explained. So, I've just tested it - and it works.

I suggest reading the forum thread before stating as facts what is in fact your (incorrect) opinion.

How is it done? In a new query ... (SQL Server 2005)

A) type 'xxxx', press F5 to execute. Note red error message.

B) type in midst of red message the required text in red

C) move cursor to start of red

D) type (in black) and press Enter

QED

• I wondered how it was done (in earlier post in this thread), and it was explained. So, I've just tested it - and it works.

Ups, right. My apologies.

Nice trick. 🙂

• I'd be forced to shoot the co-worker methinks

• I didn't notice the category first. After 'wasting' 30 mins I checked the category then realize the thing. Great question....... 😛

• "Format C:\ COMPLETE" Takes me back to DOS days pranks. Nowadays we just add couple of zeros to the end of daily sales numbers. 😛

• Ah yes. Geek humor. I love it!

:w00t:

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply