recovery model for model database

• Hi All,

Is it good to leave "model" database recovery model as "FULL:" or change it to simple? is it just to ensure the newly created user databases to have FULL recovery model or is there any other good reason ? I see log backup pending for model database that's why asking this question.

recovery model

Regards,

Sam

• That as always is a very much it depends answer.

What is your required recovery model for all databases which get created, or what should the majority be?

Chances are for prod you want everything in FULL right so you get point in time recovery, so yeah having model set to FULL makes sense.

But what about Dev/Test, do you need point in time recovery for dev/test databases, maybe / maybe not.

Generally I would leave it as FULL on all environments as it's a safer way to do it as then it is a conscience decision if you want to switch it to SIMPLE/BULK LOGGED

• Thank you.

• I leave it at FULL because my database backups will try to do log file backups on any database not in the SIMPLE recovery model.  That proc is also setup to fire emails at me and the other DBAs as soon as any failure occurs (and WILL fail on new databases).  That means that I'm usually automagically alerted when someone creates a new database because they normally don't think of things like recovery model, etc.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply