Reclaim Transaction Log Space

• Adam,

Thanks for catching that. I corrected my posting.

"Key"
    MCITP: DBA, MCSE, MCTS: SQL 2005, OCP

• NP 🙂

I knew what you meant. I just wanted to correct it for other posters.

• Damon Wilson (1/16/2008)

SELECT name AS NameOfFile,

size/128.0 as TotalSizeInMB,

CAST(FILEPROPERTY(name, 'SpaceUsed' )AS int)/128.0 AS SpacesUsedInMB,

size/128.0 -CAST(FILEPROPERTY(name, 'SpaceUsed' )AS int)/128.0 AS AvailableSpaceInMB

FROM dbo.SYSFILES

go

Thanks, Damon, for this tasty bit of code - I like it!:D

• Simple is probably the correct setting, but I realize it seems odd that the log is 2x the size of the db, but we are only talking about 30g. Is this really that important? The log grows all at once because of how you are loading the DB. Once you do the backup, the space is freed in the logfile. It shouldn't grow again. If it does, then something is going on that is generating changes... Which you would want to backup.

If you log is growing, you are changing data. The log is growing because changes you told it to track haven't been backed up yet. If you don't care about those changes, stop tracking them. (which is where the simple mode comes in).

• Thanks a lot everybody,

I feel much more confident about handling the log files after all this discussion with fellow boarders.

For the record, I've put my DB in simple mode with a Full DB Backup everyday & Incremental Backup every 4 hrs.

I'm hoping I wouldn't stuck in a new problem.

Thanks Adam, Suji & Damon for your valuable inputs.

I'll get back to the forum if I encounter any other problem.

Wish you all a good day.

Ankit Mathur

• I'm facing a similar issue. I have a transaction log that I am unable to shrink, as the recovery model is Simple on the database. This is not a database that will require a point-in-time restore, as its used for reporting. What is the best way to manage the log file? It is currently 42GB log size for a 7GB database. The option to shrink files on the log file shows 96% free space available. But because the database is set to simple, the log file cannot be shrunk.

I'm not sure what the best approach is to maintain the size of the log file, and disk space has become an issue. Any advice on how to manage database log files when the recovery mode is set to Simple?

Thanks,

Kay

• kwilt (8/14/2009)

I have a transaction log that I am unable to shrink, as the recovery model is Simple on the database.

Having the DB in simple doesn't stop you from shrinking the log. DBCC ShrinkFile, same as in any other recovery model.

Just make sure that you've fixed whatever caused it to grow in the first place, or it may just grow again.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • I tried shrinking the file using the GUI option in Management Studio (right-click > Tasks > Shrink> Files > Log.)

The log didn't shrink, so I thought it couldn't be done. If I were to use a script instead of the GUI, would the file shrink?

• No. The GUI runs the same script you'll run. Could be there's an open transaction of something preventing the shrink. Maybe wait a few hours and try again. It often works.

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• All I'm trying to do is shrink the log file to a reasonable size. Since the recovery model is Simple, there are no transaction log backups and I was under the impression that the only way to shink a log file is to have two consecutive log file backups and then the shrinkfile will work. If there is way to shrink a log file on a database in Simple recovery mode, that is what I'm looking for. The space this log is consuming is far too large for the size of the database.

• kwilt (8/14/2009)

I was under the impression that the only way to shink a log file is to have two consecutive log file backups and then the shrinkfile will work.

No, not at all. Shrink doesn't depend in the slightest on log backups.

The only thing that log backups would do is to free up space inside the file in Full and Bulk-logged recovery to allow the shrink to reduce the size of the file, and you'd only need one of them, not two. In simple, because the log space is automatically freed up (whenever a checkpoint runs), there's no need for anything like that.

If there is way to shrink a log file on a database in Simple recovery mode, that is what I'm looking for.

DBCC SHRINKFILE, same as in any other recovery model. This is exactly the command that the GUI runs when told to shrink a file.

It's possible that there's an open transaction that's preventing the log records from been moved and the log from being shrink. Maybe try waiting a few hours (for any transactions to have ended and for the active portion of the log to have moved in the file) and try again.

Gail Shaw

• Thanks so much for the response and information. I will use the DBCC SHRINKFILE and report back on the results.

• Hi Friends,

I am facing an issue on reclaiming space from transaction log with my sql server 2008 with sp2. It grew up to 200 GB and running out of space. Then i backed up the transaction log. Now i can see that the log space used is only 5.26 gb out of 200 gb. When i used DBCC Shrinkfile, it is not reclaiming the space from the transaction log.

I do not know how to proceed with it further.

Please help.

Regards

Govind

• Please post new questions in a new thread. Thank you.

Gail Shaw

• govindarajan69 (3/25/2012)

Hi Friends,

I am facing an issue on reclaiming space from transaction log with my sql server 2008 with sp2. It grew up to 200 GB and running out of space. Then i backed up the transaction log. Now i can see that the log space used is only 5.26 gb out of 200 gb. When i used DBCC Shrinkfile, it is not reclaiming the space from the transaction log.

I do not know how to proceed with it further.

Please help.

Regards

Govind

I kind of like having all the questions related to this problem in a single thread so, let me ask, which recovery mode are you using?

Also, has this taught you that you really need to do transaction log backups on a regular basis?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply