read the current row and previous row & calculate difference reporting values over

• CELKO (8/15/2012)

Probably to encourage quicker adoption of new technology. ;-)[/quote]

In part, but I write code in comments that can be used later. I usually have 2-3 versions of the query and some of them use features in the next release. (some of them are just different, so you can test them when you get an upgrade).

Right now, I have a grateful client who is busy un-commenting

"foo_date DATETIME NOT NULL

CHECK(<<foo_date is always 00:00:00>>). "

-- foo_date DATE NOT NULL. -- fix DML to match

It took them a weekend to set up a 2012 schema and move their data.

--[/quote]

Okay, but the solution you posted above is still a total fail as it is a straight SQL Server 2012 solution. Nothing in it will work in SQL Server 2008.

• --== Now for a solution ==--

SELECT a.ID, a.DEVICE, a.VALUE

FROM (SELECT ID, DEVICE, VALUE,

ROW_NUMBER() OVER(PARTITION BY DEVICE ORDER BY ID) AS pos

FROM #yourSampleTable) a

LEFT OUTER JOIN (SELECT ID, DEVICE, VALUE,

ROW_NUMBER() OVER(PARTITION BY DEVICE ORDER BY ID) AS pos

FROM #yourSampleTable) b ON a.DEVICE = b.DEVICE AND a.pos = b.pos+1

WHERE a.VALUE-b.VALUE > 20;[/code]

Thank you for the posts. Enough information in this script to allow me to construct a solution adding a few joins (ps sorry about that lack of schema layout in original post). Tested on R&D successfully. Production environment will take time to return.

SELECT a.ID, a.DEVICEid, a.value, a.sentdate, a.customerid

FROM

(SELECT ID, LOC.DEVICEid, value, SENTDATE, DEVICEtbl.CUSTOMERID, ROW_NUMBER() OVER(PARTITION BY LOC.DEVICEid ORDER BY ID) AS pos FROM Loc with (NOLOCK)

INNER JOIN Devicetbl with (NOLOCK) ON Devicetbl.Deviceid = Loc.Deviceid

INNER JOIN Customer with (NOLOCK) ON Customer.CustomerID = Device.CustomerID

) a

LEFT OUTER JOIN

(SELECT ID, LOC.DEVICEid, value, sentdate, DEVICE.CUSTOMERID, ROW_NUMBER() OVER(PARTITION BY LOC.DEVICEid ORDER BY ID) AS pos FROM loc with (NOLOCK)

INNER JOIN Devicetbl with (NOLOCK)ON Devicetbl.Deviceid = Loc.Deviceid

) b ON a.DEVICEid = b.DEVICEid AND a.pos = b.pos+1

WHERE a.value-b.value> 20

and a.sentdate > 'x'

and a.customerid = x

• scott_lotus (8/16/2012)

Thank you for the posts. Enough information in this script to allow me to construct a solution adding a few joins (ps sorry about that lack of schema layout in original post). Tested on R&D successfully. Production environment will take time to return.

SELECT a.ID, a.DEVICEid, a.value, a.sentdate, a.customerid

FROM

(SELECT ID, LOC.DEVICEid, value, SENTDATE, DEVICEtbl.CUSTOMERID, ROW_NUMBER() OVER(PARTITION BY LOC.DEVICEid ORDER BY ID) AS pos FROM Loc with (NOLOCK)

INNER JOIN Devicetbl with (NOLOCK) ON Devicetbl.Deviceid = Loc.Deviceid

) a

LEFT OUTER JOIN

(SELECT ID, LOC.DEVICEid, value, sentdate, DEVICE.CUSTOMERID, ROW_NUMBER() OVER(PARTITION BY LOC.DEVICEid ORDER BY ID) AS pos FROM loc with (NOLOCK)

INNER JOIN Devicetbl with (NOLOCK)ON Devicetbl.Deviceid = Loc.Deviceid

) b ON a.DEVICEid = b.DEVICEid AND a.pos = b.pos+1

WHERE a.value-b.value> 20

and a.sentdate > 'x'

and a.customerid = x

Now, I don't know what the circumstances are for your choice of the NOLOCK hint. This may not be applicable to you and without more information there is no way for me to know.

However, in case you're not aware (and for future google searchers), please note that NOLOCK is not a good idea. I have some links for you to read through if you're interested : -

Missing rows with nolock

Allocation order scans with nolock

Consistency issues with nolock

Transient Corruption Errors in SQL Server error log caused by nolock

Dirty reads, read errors, reading rows twice and missing rows with nolock

Forever trying to learn
    My blog - http://www.cadavre.co.uk/
    For better, quicker answers on T-SQL questions, click on the following...http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/
    For better, quicker answers on SQL Server performance related questions, click on the following...http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/SQLServerCentral/66909/

• Thanks for the NOLOCK info. Partially understood the side effects but the information you have posted is a great help. I understand READ_COMMITTED_SNAPSHOT is the way to go for solution with READ/WRITE blocking in preference over NOLOCK. 90% of the DB is made up of a single table with over billion rows. We are investigating a database sharing technique to scale out into multiple customer databases at which point I would hope to drop NOLOCK.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply