Re-oiling the gears for the data dictionary or catalog

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Re-oiling the gears for the data dictionary or catalog

• Good job with this.

When I look at the data in the main database I work with I like to have a row count.

Would you add an additional column for the business user's description of the data?

412-977-3526 call/text

• Ideally the descriptions should all be in the common language of the business.  I think there is a case for a technical description though I would see this as a data lineage/technical rule capturing facility.  The Redgate Data Catalog does provide a mechanism for recording a whole plethora of attributes.  It has its own database and scrapes the various servers and databases you want to put into the catalog.

I'm a bit hazy as to the worth of a row count.  If it is as an approximate indicator of size then the row count from the sys.indexes would be adequate.  It's a bit of a paradox that the stuff where you want to monitor the size is the stuff where any published size would be obsolete almost before it was published.

One thing I would like to see is the features I have written up here in either SQLDoc or Data Catalog.  I have a 3rd article in flight to finish off this series.  I just have to validate that the ideas underpinning it work.

• Row counts are much more useful when you have hundreds of copies of the same database or you are just trying to figure out which tables might have the data you are looking for.

412-977-3526 call/text

• It would also be helpful to have a process that you can use when all you have is read only access to the database.

412-977-3526 call/text

• The Redgate Data Catalog can be controlled using Powershell and/or API calls.  There is nothing to stop you exporting stuff from your read-only DB and using it to generate what you need for Redgate Data Catalog.  The Redgate Data Catalog has its own database holding all the information it has scraped from the servers and SQL Server databases it has been configured to read.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply