RAID

• Thanks Dave! Happy New Year!:-D

• Koen Verbeeck (12/30/2012)

W00t, easy question to close the year 😀 :w00t:

Not really sure though why a Microsoft resource is so necessary when the question itself is about a pretty universal concept.

Agreed

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Can't see the need for a Microsoft reference on a question that's about something universal. But I agree with Tom - I'd never use a Wikipedia reference as sole support for any statement.

• learnt in begining of college days.. easy one...

--
    Dineshbabu
    Desire to learn new things..

• FYI: the "I" in the original paper stood for "Inexpensive":

http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/~garth/RAIDpaper/Patterson88.pdf

Rich

• Toreador (1/2/2013)

Can't see the need for a Microsoft reference on a question that's about something universal. But I agree with Tom - I'd never use a Wikipedia reference as sole support for any statement.

+ 1

• My Master's degree program won't let me use Wikipedia at all... If it doesn't come from the university library as a scholarly resource, use it at your own risk... 😀

• rmechaber (1/2/2013)

FYI: the "I" in the original paper stood for "Inexpensive":

http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/~garth/RAIDpaper/Patterson88.pdf

Rich

Yes, 'independent' is misleading - how are disks in RAID 5 'independent' when the data is striped across them? And in RAID 0 the disks are obviously wholly dependent on each other. They're only independent in RAID 1 or RAID 10.

I know it's all over the web and text books now, but it's wrong. Gartner has a definition on its website headed RAID (Redundant Array Of Independent Disks), which says under RAID 0 'if one drive fails, the entire disk array subsystem is unavailable'??!?

It's not specific to Microsoft and so doesn't require a Microsoft reference.

Just to be (even more?) pedantic, 'independent' is not spelt 'independant'.

• Thanks to you all for your thoughts on my question. It keeps me thinking and learning, which is why I'm here.

All the best for 2013.

Dave.

Dave Morris :alien:

"Measure twice, saw once"

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply