RAID

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item RAID

Dave Morris :alien:

"Measure twice, saw once"

• Kind of sad when the author of a published QOD can not find a Microsoft page to justify the correct answer to the question.

So here it is:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms190764(v=sql.105).aspx

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read[/url]
    Before posting a performance problem please read[/url]

• Nice and easy question Dave.

Thanks Ron for posting the correct link. I was about to do the same 🙂

~ Lokesh Vij

Guidelines for quicker answers on T-SQL question[/url]
    Guidelines for answers on Performance questions

Link to my Blog Post --> www.SQLPathy.com[/url]

Follow me @Twitter

• W00t, easy question to close the year 😀 :w00t:

Not really sure though why a Microsoft resource is so necessary when the question itself is about a pretty universal concept.

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• An easy one for the end of the year - thank-you!

Have a Happy & Prosperous New Year 2013!

Thanks & Regards,
    Nakul Vachhrajani.
    http://nakulvachhrajani.com

Follow me on
    Twitter: @sqltwins

• As said many times already, a nice easy one to end the year.

Thanks, and a Happy New Year to one and all, bring on 2013!

😀

• Phew! Toughest question of the year.

And a Happy New Year to you all. In the New Year, wish you the best year you've ever had.May you realize your fondest dreams and take time to recognize and enjoy, each and every blessing. 🙂

ww; Raghu
    --
    The first and the hardest SQL statement I have wrote- "select * from customers" - and I was happy and felt smart.

• Thanks for making the last day of the year by giving an easy +1.

Happy New Year to all.

• bitbucket-25253 (12/29/2012)

Kind of sad when the author of a published QOD can not find a Microsoft page to justify the correct answer to the question.

So here it is:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms190764(v=sql.105).aspx

Lokesh Vij (12/30/2012)

Thanks Ron for posting the correct link. I was about to do the same 🙂

Kind of sad? And "Correct" link?

Is this right?

If the question had been about, say, database design & theory, or a question about a well established third party product (say Lightspeed or Redgate), would you have expected me to try to find a corresponding Microsoft source justification for the answer? What is the connection between the acronym RAID and Microsoft here?

• andy.brown (12/31/2012)

... What is the connection between the acronym RAID and Microsoft here?

"RAID (redundant array of independent disks) levels 0, 1, and 5 are typically implemented with SQL Server."

Just the expansion of the RAID which is mentioned on the top section of the article (not that anything to be proved between RAID and MS, but author as used the link to refer the the RAID with the MSSQL server and the given link does.)

ww; Raghu
    --
    The first and the hardest SQL statement I have wrote- "select * from customers" - and I was happy and felt smart.

• Thanks for the question. I'm not bothered that you didn't use a Microsoft link for reference - they are not the authority of everything - sometimes not even the authority if their own software.

Happy New Year!

[font="Verdana"]Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.[/font]
    Connect to me on LinkedIn

• Thanks for simple question. RAID is applicable for other databases also. Thanks for author for providing the wiki link.

Wishing happy new YEAR TO ALL

Malleswarareddy
    I.T.Analyst
    MCITP(70-451)

• Nice easy question.

Not sure I like the wikipedia link - in general, wikipedia suffers from cranks editors and edit wars so that some pages are quite awful (I see less of that now than I used to, but maybe I'm just looking at areas where fewer cranks are editing than in the areas I used to look at).

The wikipedia RAID article is much better than it used to be: for example it used to claim that RAID5 was the be-all and end-all of perfect RAID design, fully as reliable as RAID 10, ideal for all relational databases, which was just plain nonsense; I think the anti-raid-5 warnings from Dell, Hitachi, Seagate, Netapp, EMC, HDS, SUN and IBM are probably what has allowed that to be changed. But it still contains some rather odd statements, eg it says that IBM's system 38 in 1986 had an early implementation of what is now called RAID: my objection to that statement is the word "early", nothing else; RAID-like things were around much earlier: back in 1978 an IBM patent (for something very like RAID 5 - where the only new things claimed are all based on rotating the parity round the discs, instead of using a dedicated parity disc) mentioned disc duplexing (now called RAID 1) and dedicated parity disc systems (now called RAID 4) as prior art, as noted further down the same page - clearly nothing stops a wikipedia page from contradicting itself quite blatantly.

When the Berkeley team published its RAID work the R stood for Redundant so RAID0 is effectively a contradiction, since it has no redundancy. In fact most modern RAID systems wouldn't be RAID in the sense of the Berkeley team, because they don't use cheap discs (the I was Inexpensive, not Independent).

Tom

• Koen Verbeeck (12/30/2012)

W00t, easy question to close the year 😀 :w00t:

Not really sure though why a Microsoft resource is so necessary when the question itself is about a pretty universal concept.

Agreed.:rolleyes:

Happy New Year, y'all!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply