QUOTENAME() Types

• edwardwill - Thursday, October 4, 2018 8:57 AM

Lynn Pettis - Thursday, October 4, 2018 8:51 AM

I really hope that isn't the way you talk to others in a professional environment.  Please refrain from using foul or abuse language.  We do try to keep this site professional (doesn't always work).
    Also, some of us don't take the QotD seriously.  It tests our knowledge and we sometimes get them wrong.  The question may be poorly worded, or the explanation may not make sense.  It isn't anything to get upset about.

That's how everyone in my "professional" environment talks - our CEO recently said, at a company meeting, "Thank **** we're a sweary company".  We're grown-ups, and that's how all the grown-ups I know talk (I'm 61 years old and counting).  I work with some seriously talented individuals - developers, DBAs &c -  who aren't in the least bothered by the odd swear though they do get seriously narked if the code isn't up to qualtiy.  But hey, I'm a guest here so I promise not to swear again.  And I also promise not to criticise QotD until I've submitted my own (I'd expect to be skating in Hades first, but never say never).

If this were code it would be treated very differently. There is no money gained or lost by a poorly worded trivia question. In real life I would be concerned by the occasional swear word because there aren't enough of them. 😉 But my online persona is a bit more subdues in that regard.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• edwardwill - Thursday, October 4, 2018 8:57 AM

Lynn Pettis - Thursday, October 4, 2018 8:51 AM

I really hope that isn't the way you talk to others in a professional environment.  Please refrain from using foul or abuse language.  We do try to keep this site professional (doesn't always work).
    Also, some of us don't take the QotD seriously.  It tests our knowledge and we sometimes get them wrong.  The question may be poorly worded, or the explanation may not make sense.  It isn't anything to get upset about.

That's how everyone in my "professional" environment talks - our CEO recently said, at a company meeting, "Thank **** we're a sweary company".  We're grown-ups, and that's how all the grown-ups I know talk (I'm 61 years old and counting).  I work with some seriously talented individuals - developers, DBAs &c -  who aren't in the least bothered by the odd swear though they do get seriously narked if the code isn't up to qualtiy.  But hey, I'm a guest here so I promise not to swear again.  And I also promise not to criticise QotD until I've submitted my own (I'd expect to be skating in Hades first, but never say never).

was "borked" the bad word? lol I hope "borked" wasn't the bad word!

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Thursday, October 4, 2018 8:38 AM

edwardwill - Thursday, October 4, 2018 8:28 AM

Three days on the bounce.  Going for a record of borked QotD?

If your intention is to be a jerk, you are succeeding.

If you don't have anything to relate to the question, perhaps you could refrain from posting, or contribute your own questions.

Since you're already mad, can we discuss your work here at SSC?

• patrickmcginnis59 10839 - Thursday, October 4, 2018 12:56 PM

was "borked" the bad word? lol I hope "borked" wasn't the bad word!

No, look at his response to Steve.

• patrickmcginnis59 10839 - Thursday, October 4, 2018 12:58 PM

I am unsure of if you're addressing this to me or what you mean.

• I deleted the post from edwardwill as it was unprofessional and contained profanity. not sure why the filter here didn't catch things, but I removed it from here and from Lynn's quote.

I am perfectly fine with criticism about the questions or pointing out errors. I make them on a regular basis. What I was not pleased with is inane comments that don't add to the discussion and serve as a whiny response that adds nothing germane to the issue with the question, answer, or explanation, but are directed at me or the site as a open ended "you messed up again".

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Thursday, October 4, 2018 3:15 PM

patrickmcginnis59 10839 - Thursday, October 4, 2018 12:58 PM

It LOOKS like you called him a jerk for keeping score of QOTD gaffs but thats only going to make you the bad guy in this one, number one, you can't post clean editorial content in at least one of three consecutive attempts, number two, you called your customer a jerk.

For all I know, you didn't actually flub editorial content in three consecutive attempts but I as a now confused consumer of SSC content really can't tell, the dumpster fire that this thread has become is just leaving me uninformed on the matter.

• Yesterday I was right, but today answer registers red?? How come??

• patrickmcginnis59 10839 - Thursday, October 4, 2018 6:12 PM

Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Thursday, October 4, 2018 3:15 PM

It LOOKS like you called him a jerk for keeping score of QOTD gaffs but thats only going to make you the bad guy in this one, number one, you can't post clean editorial content in at least one of three consecutive attempts, number two, you called your customer a jerk.

For all I know, you didn't actually flub editorial content in three consecutive attempts but I as a now confused consumer of SSC content really can't tell, the dumpster fire that this thread has become is just leaving me uninformed on the matter.

As I am the idiot who started the dumpster fire, it may interest some of you to know that I had a very bad night on account of guilt at having been so disobliging about what is a free and fun service, provided by a busy professional.  I have no valid defence of being a total numpty, save that I've been suffering from toothache for about two months (it's basically not curable, but enough of that) and occasionally it gets the better of me.  I salute Mr Jones for his sterling work, and I will confine myself to a) trying to answer the QotD (got today's correct - yay!) and b) asking questions on the forum and/or finding answers to questions on the forum.

• morlindk - Friday, October 5, 2018 1:47 AM

Yesterday I was right, but today answer registers red?? How come??

It was discussed in the comments. People felt, that the previous accepted answer was incorrect; namely that an nvarchar is returned or a NULL if an invalid identifier is provided. Although this is true, that didn't make the other answer "nvarchar() is always returned" untrue. A NULL is an unknown value, but it can still have a datatype; in this case the NULL has a datatype of nvarchar(256). This made 2 possible answers true and thus the "correct" answer was ambiguous.

Steve has since change the answers, and it doesn't refer to NULLs anymore; making the correct answer non-ambigous.

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• morlindk - Friday, October 5, 2018 1:47 AM

Exactly the same with me. Why??

• Aleksl-294755 - Friday, October 5, 2018 5:44 AM

morlindk - Friday, October 5, 2018 1:47 AM

Exactly the same with me. Why??

I answered this directly above your post. 😊

Thom A - Friday, October 5, 2018 3:47 AM

morlindk - Friday, October 5, 2018 1:47 AM

It was discussed in the comments. People felt, that the previous accepted answer was incorrect; namely that an nvarchar is returned or a NULL if an invalid identifier is provided. Although this is true, that didn't make the other answer "nvarchar() is always returned" untrue. A NULL is an unknown value, but it can still have a datatype; in this case the NULL has a datatype of nvarchar(256). This made 2 possible answers true and thus the "correct" answer was ambiguous.

Steve has since change the answers, and it doesn't refer to NULLs anymore; making the correct answer non-ambigous.

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• edwardwill - Friday, October 5, 2018 1:58 AM

patrickmcginnis59 10839 - Thursday, October 4, 2018 6:12 PM

As I am the idiot who started the dumpster fire, it may interest some of you to know that I had a very bad night on account of guilt at having been so disobliging about what is a free and fun service, provided by a busy professional.  I have no valid defence of being a total numpty, save that I've been suffering from toothache for about two months (it's basically not curable, but enough of that) and occasionally it gets the better of me.  I salute Mr Jones for his sterling work, and I will confine myself to a) trying to answer the QotD (got today's correct - yay!) and b) asking questions on the forum and/or finding answers to questions on the forum.

On the contrary you are clearly NOT an idiot. Just a guy who vented a little bit and got his wrist slapped. Keep in mind we are all human (even Steve) and sometimes things don't come across as intended. I was somewhat surprised that Steve made a comment at all. That seems like the kind of thing her normally just ignores. But there are times that some things just rub you a certain way and you have to respond. I say we clear the air and have a virtual Friday beer together. First round is on me.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• Sean Lange - Friday, October 5, 2018 7:20 AM

edwardwill - Friday, October 5, 2018 1:58 AM

patrickmcginnis59 10839 - Thursday, October 4, 2018 6:12 PM

On the contrary you are clearly NOT an idiot. Just a guy who vented a little bit and got his wrist slapped. Keep in mind we are all human (even Steve) and sometimes things don't come across as intended. I was somewhat surprised that Steve made a comment at all. That seems like the kind of thing her normally just ignores. But there are times that some things just rub you a certain way and you have to respond. I say we clear the air and have a virtual Friday beer together. First round is on me.

I'll be honest, don't make excuses just admit it was a mistake and apologize.  Then have another virtual beer.  I tend to prefer Dr. Pepper or Whiskey.

• Sean Lange - Friday, October 5, 2018 7:20 AM

You're too kind - I certainly didn't cover myself in glory!  Happy to have a virtual beer with you - it will have to be a virtual one as I'm doing Sober October!  Why do the traditional sober months (October and January) have 31 days?  Why don't people target February WHERE (@year % 4 != 0)?  Second round on me anyway.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply