QUOTENAME() Types

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item QUOTENAME() Types

• Nice question, thanks Steve

• I don't think that's the right answer. It always returns nvarchar - but if the input is invalid then the nvarchar value is NULL
    If you run 
    select QUOTENAME('x',130) x
    into temptable

and then examine the definition
    of temptable you will see that column x is nvarchar(258)

• Toreador - Thursday, October 4, 2018 4:28 AM

I don't think that's the right answer. It always returns nvarchar - but if the input is invalid then the nvarchar value is NULL
    If you run 
    into temptable

Just out of interest if you run:
    select NULL x
    into temptable

It creates an int column.

• nice question

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The more you know, the more you know that you dont know

• Toreador - Thursday, October 4, 2018 4:28 AM

I don't think that's the right answer. It always returns nvarchar - but if the input is invalid then the nvarchar value is NULL
    If you run 
    into temptable

I would like to see how an invalid identifier causes an implicit conversion, as the question was phrased.

[font="Tahoma"]Personal blog relating fishing to database administration:[/font]

[font="Comic Sans MS"]https://davegugg.wordpress.com[/url]/[/font]

• The question was "If I use QUOTENAME(), what is the type of data that is returned to me?".  The answer is NVARCHAR(258).

If the arguments are invalid the VALUE returned may be NULL, but that is not a data type.

• Yeah the NULL is still nvarchar(128), it doesn't suddenly lose its datatype. The "correct" answer is not right. Good question though.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• david.gugg - Thursday, October 4, 2018 6:51 AM

Toreador - Thursday, October 4, 2018 4:28 AM

If you run 
    into temptable

I would like to see how an invalid identifier causes an implicit conversion, as the question was phrased.

It seems the explanation of the answer is a bit off as well. The documentation says QUOTENAME returns null if the unicode string is too long or if the quote character is invalid. Nothing about whether the string is a valid identifier.

I have a question: By quoting a string does it make anything a valid identifier?
    Select 'A' as [*#($*&(#$&(*@&#$]
    returns:

*#($*&(#$&(*@&#$
    ----------------
    A

• Scott Coleman - Thursday, October 4, 2018 7:16 AM

The question was "If I use QUOTENAME(), what is the type of data that is returned to me?".  The answer is NVARCHAR(258).

If the arguments are invalid the VALUE returned may be NULL, but that is not a data type.

Three days on the bounce.  Going for a record of borked QotD?

• edwardwill - Thursday, October 4, 2018 8:28 AM

Three days on the bounce.  Going for a record of borked QotD?

If your intention is to be a jerk, you are succeeding.

If you don't have anything to relate to the question, perhaps you could refrain from posting, or contribute your own questions.

• The wording of the question was a bit misleading. I should not have conflated a value with a type, as NULL doesn't have a type, but conforms to the type that it is replacing.

Question corrected.

• Editor: Quote redacted

I really hope that isn't the way you talk to others in a professional environment.  Please refrain from using foul or abuse language.  We do try to keep this site professional (doesn't always work).
    Also, some of us don't take the QotD seriously.  It tests our knowledge and we sometimes get them wrong.  The question may be poorly worded, or the explanation may not make sense.  It isn't anything to get upset about.
  • Lynn Pettis - Thursday, October 4, 2018 8:51 AM

I really hope that isn't the way you talk to others in a professional environment.  Please refrain from using foul or abuse language.  We do try to keep this site professional (doesn't always work).
    Also, some of us don't take the QotD seriously.  It tests our knowledge and we sometimes get them wrong.  The question may be poorly worded, or the explanation may not make sense.  It isn't anything to get upset about.

That's how everyone in my "professional" environment talks - our CEO recently said, at a company meeting, "Thank **** we're a sweary company".  We're grown-ups, and that's how all the grown-ups I know talk (I'm 61 years old and counting).  I work with some seriously talented individuals - developers, DBAs &c -  who aren't in the least bothered by the odd swear though they do get seriously narked if the code isn't up to qualtiy.  But hey, I'm a guest here so I promise not to swear again.  And I also promise not to criticise QotD until I've submitted my own (I'd expect to be skating in Hades first, but never say never).

• edwardwill - Thursday, October 4, 2018 8:57 AM

That's how everyone in my "professional" environment talks - our CEO recently said, at a company meeting, "Thank **** we're a sweary company".  We're grown-ups, and that's how all the grown-ups I know talk (I'm 61 years old and counting).  I work with some seriously talented individuals - developers, DBAs &c -  who aren't in the least bothered by the odd swear though they do get seriously narked if the code isn't up to qualtiy.  But hey, I'm a guest here so I promise not to swear again.  And I also promise not to criticise QotD until I've submitted my own (I'd expect to be skating in Hades first, but never say never).

I will admit that I curse, even at work and usually under my breath and because I am frustrated with something I am working on at the time. The difference is that I don't do it during professional conversations.  It is simply inappropriate and totally uncalled for in that environment.  Over the years I have found that I simply don't appreciate that kind of language especially on a constant basis.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply