Quick question about databases integrity errors

• This is regarding a database for the company I used to work for.

They had a power outage over the weekend and when they brought SQL Server back up the most important database was throwing this error, The operating system returned error 21(The device is not ready.) to SQL Server during a read at offset <some memory address> in file <db file>

And it advised to run DBCC CHECKDB(), well we couldn't even get into the DB to run that as it would just return the above error. So I restarted the SQL Service and I was able to get in and run CHECKDB(), they were also able to restart the applications that connected to the DB and those worked. However CHECKDB() returned some errors advising me to run UPDATEUSAGE(). After running that I ran CHECKDB() and everything cleared up.

Just wondering what happened and if it might be a problem? Fortunately this is no longer my DB 🙂

• Sounds like (without more information) the drive(s) with the DB file on it may not have been ready at the time SQL tried starting up.

Possibly going through a check disk or the like.

Seeing as the DB came up and you could successfully run checkdb() without any major errors, that would seem to bear out my hypothesis.

Jason A

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply