Questions to ask your clients DBA?

• I work as a developer/analyst for a software company. We have new clients that want to host our SQL Server based product on their servers and years of experience with clients and our sale staff leads me to believe that detailed deployment issues need to get determined early in the process.( I'm not cynical, just pragmatic...)

So I'm thinking that a list of questions instead of requirements may be in order to determine the environment the client runs. (People tend to ignore requirements until there is a crisis at roll out.) Besides the general SQL Server and Windows Server questions, hardware specs, backup details, admin credentials, what other questions would you ask?

🙂

• Heh... in cases like this, I believe that being cynical is a healthy thing to do.

I wouldn't isolate the converstation nor the requirements to just the DBA... there may be OPs people who actually own the Windows Server that SQL Server is being run on and the DBA, in fact, may have absolutely no privs at the operating system level and, thus, have no clue about the environment that SQL Server is actually installed on other that what (s)he can see from various SQL Server properties windows.

IMHO, the proper way to do this is to cleany and clearly identify the required system configuration from a hardware standpoint, an OS standpoint, and then the SQL Server standpoint. Those requirements should be included as "Chapter 1" of an "Installation and Deployment" manual with many chapters. Have the customer sign off on each chapter and create a Service Level Agreement that also contains what is and what is not covered as well as the hours covered and how long the coverage lasts.

Then talk with the DBA...

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• It's not just hardware & environment you need to be aware of. Things like available Firewall ports and security access are "need to knows" for installing third party products. How many times have we seen the questions "My vendor wants the SA login & password for trouble-shooting and install. What should I actually give them?"

It's rare that DBAs get input with the third party vendor person, so forgive me if I step on my soapbox for a moment. @=)

DBAs do NOT like to give SA access or any sort of sysadmin access to their servers. Establish a non-administrative SQL login for your software and verify the actual maximum permissions it needs so you can get the DBAs to buy into the install / support process. Without the client DBA's cooperation, you'll have a harder time getting the things you need. So soft skill connections are an absolute must. This is why, early in the process, you should talk with the DBAs about what you need and why you need it. Make sure they understand it and make sure you're not asking for too much.

Also talk with the network admin, if the company in question has them, about remote access to systems if your company will need it for support. Many companies don't allow remote access or only allow it under certain circumstances with restricted abilities. Again, you need to make sure you have what you need without making your client feel like they're exposing too much.

Talk to your clients about their backup & restore policies. Not just SQL Server, but the OS policies too. This can affect your product and your support levels.

Lastly, get an extensive contact list. Who to call when things go wrong, etc.

But above all, remember to be polite. I can't count the number of times I've seen resentful posts on this site from DBAs who feel like the vendor is lording it over them. Everything they do is designed to fight back against what they see as unreasonable vendor requests. So long as you address their concerns early in the process, and do so while treating them like they actually know what they're talking about, I don't see any reason why you can't have a healthy and friendly relationship with your client DBAs.

Okay. Off the soapbox now. I hope this helps. @=)

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Brandie,

I've been on both sides of the fence as a system administrator and now as someone that works for a vendor. Many times I'm the person that ends up working with the client DBA and IT staff due to my background. It's a pleasure when I get to working with knowledgeable people, but many times I end up assisting the technically clueless, which makes it frustrating for all parties involved. By being more proactive, I'm hoping that I can help our folks provide a better experience for our clients. (And less hair pulling for myself!)

Thank you for your insights!

Chris

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply