Question about the Identity property of a column

• Can IDENTITY be assigned to an existing column? Or can it only be used when creating from scratch?

I have a table with data imported from a spreadsheet. The Spreadsheet had a sequence column in it starting at 1 and incrementing by 1 just like an identity column would do.

Using ALTER TABLE, can I change the existing column to an identity column? Or do I have to drop the current column and add a new column?

I've looked at BOL and I'm still getting the hang of deciphering the format. In the ALTER TABLE section it mentions that if you're adding a column with IDENTITY that the data type needs to be a data type that can work with IDENTITY but it doesn't really say if you can or cannot add IDENTITY to an existing column.

I just want to make sure I'm actually reading BOL correctly.

-- Kit

• You could ALTER the table ADD a new column and SET IDENTITY, I don't think you can convert your current column to IDENTITY.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• You could add an identity column, set identity insert on, and update to get the same value of your "Current ID" Column, then drop your column. You would then have a new Identity column, with the same values.

Cheers,

J-F

• Damn, Gift beat me to it, 😀

Cheers,

J-F

• Cool. Thanks. 🙂

Guess I'm starting to understand this BOL thingie.

I added the column and dropped the inserted column and it worked just fine. Got the same identity values to match my imported column values. Thanks again.

-- Kit

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply