Question about adding TDE to an existing database

• Have about 3 databases that are each a bit shy of a terabyte in size participating in an Availability Group.

Been told by an auditor that we need to implement TDE on them.

Have some questions:

How long does the initial encryption take with the AG in the mix, or w/o the AG?

Are the databases available for OLTP traffic while encryption is taking pace?

• I suspect the AG is going to play a fairly big part in enabling TDE, so I'd suggest doing some searching on what's involved there (disclaimer: I've not used AGs)

As for your two questions:

How long does the initial encryption take with the AG in the mix, or w/o the AG?

The time it takes to encrypt a database is very heavily dependent on how much use the database has, while the encryption is running. I've got some small databases (~10GB) that take 5-10 minutes to encrypt when in use, somewhat quicker when not.

Yes, but use will impact the time the encryption takes. The encryption process will also I believe, block backups while it's running.

Ideally, if you have a server to do this on, or if you can test on the same server (although I'd very strongly recommend a separate server) restore a copy of one of your databases and TDE it to get a rough baseline on how long it might take. If you don't have a server you can do this to, then I'd try to convince the bosses to get you one, physical or virtual, before even beginning to try this on a production server.

Jason

• O there will be LOTS of testing before we go live. As i was researching the topic, these were Q's i couldn't find any easy guidelines to.

Right now we're sitting on 2014, but after seeing what 2016 can give me with TDE, might consider an upgrade first, then implement the TDE.

• Manic Star (10/11/2016)

Have about 3 databases that are each a bit shy of a terabyte in size participating in an Availability Group.

Been told by an auditor that we need to implement TDE on them.

Have some questions:

Why have they asked you to implement TDE, what do they think it will provide protection against

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply