Querying the max row length

• Hello everybody,

I just started at a new customer site and discovered that they have lots of tables the the theoretical total lentgh of a record can be over 8060 bytes.

Some tables have up to 8 nvarchar(2000) columns. So far this seems not to have caused any issues but I'd like to do a check on all these tables what is the actual length of the records and especially what is the max length. Since we're talking about more than 200 tables I'm looking for a script to automate this task.

If anyone has such a script please make my day.

TIA

Markus

[font="Verdana"]Markus Bohse[/font]

• here you go; a snippet i made a while back:

create table ##tmp (TableName varchar(100),DefinedRowSize int)

exec sp_msforeachtable 'INSERT INTO ##TMP Select ''?'' As TableName, SUM(C.Length) as Length from dbo.SysColumns C where C.id = object_id(''?'') '

select * from ##tmp order by DefinedRowSize desc

if you have a tablename bigger than 100 chars, you'll need to change the varchar(100) to avoide error "string or binary would be truncated"

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Lowell,

thanks for your response, but thats not what I'm looking for. I already have a script which calculates the defined rowlength. What I now try to find out is the max actual length used.

I found a script using the DATALENGTH function which gives me the max length for each column, but I still need to find a way to add up all the columns and then find records which are close to the 8060 bytes limit. 

Markus

• ok how about this:

it gives results that look something like this:

there is also an underlying table ##tmp, where you can see which columsn are defined but never used

TableDefinedLengthMaxActualLength
    VVVREPORTS7193112
    WWW_QUARTERLY_0506_VS_GOALS_JEREMIAH41381540
    WWW_PERFORMANCE_VS_GOALS_APRIL_20064048973
    VVVREPORTUSERS36330
    GMPARAM2892136
    TBSCHTSK27540

select sysobjects.name as TableName,

syscolumns.name as ColumnName,

TYPE_NAME(syscolumns.xtype) AS VariableType,

syscolumns.length AS DefinedLength,

0 as MaxActualLength

into ##tmp

from sysobjects

inner join syscolumns on sysobjects.id=syscolumns.id

where sysobjects.xtype='U'

declare

@isql varchar(2000),

@tbname varchar(64),

@clname varchar(64)

declare c1 cursor for

select TableName,ColumnName from ##tmp where VariableType in('varchar','char','nvarchar','nchar')

open c1

fetch next from c1 into @tbname,@clname

While @@fetch_status <> -1

begin

select @isql = 'UPDATE ##TMP SET MaxActualLength = (SELECT ISNULL(max(DATALENGTH(@clname)),0) FROM @tbname) WHERE TableName =''@tbname'' and ColumnName =''@clname'''

select @isql = replace(@isql,'@tbname',@tbname)

select @isql = replace(@isql,'@clname',@clname)

print @isql

exec(@isql)

end

close c1

deallocate c1

select TableName,sum(DefinedLength) As DefinedLength,sum(MaxActualLength) As MaxActualLength

from ##tmp

group by TableName

order by sum(DefinedLength)DESC,sum(MaxActualLength) DESC

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Nicely done, Lowell... you might want to check the ##Tmp table, though... the numeric datatypes always end up having a MaxActualLength of "0" and I think that's probably not right.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Thanks Jeff; I'm sure you are right...I should initialize the MaxActualLength with the values from syscolumns, and then update...makes the comparison much better.

You contribute a lot to SSC; thanks!

I also found  it might fail if sometables or columns are poorly named...In one database, a column was named "Function", and that would make the cursor's  ISNULL(max(DATALENGTH([@clname])),0)  section throw an error, so I added brackets as well

here's the slightly better version.

select sysobjects.name as TableName,

syscolumns.name as ColumnName,

TYPE_NAME(syscolumns.xtype) AS VariableType,

syscolumns.length AS DefinedLength,

syscolumns.length AS  MaxActualLength

into ##tmp

from sysobjects

inner join syscolumns on sysobjects.id=syscolumns.id

where sysobjects.xtype='U'

declare

@isql varchar(2000),

@tbname varchar(64),

@clname varchar(64)

declare c1 cursor for

select TableName,ColumnName from ##tmp where VariableType in('varchar','char','nvarchar','nchar')

open c1

While @@fetch_status <> -1

begin

select @isql = 'UPDATE ##TMP SET MaxActualLength = (SELECT ISNULL(max(DATALENGTH([@clname])),0) FROM [@tbname]) WHERE TableName =''@tbname'' and ColumnName =''@clname'''

select @isql = replace(@isql,'@tbname',@tbname)

select @isql = replace(@isql,'@clname',@clname)

print @isql

exec(@isql)

end

close c1

deallocate c1

select TableName,sum(DefinedLength) As DefinedLength,sum(MaxActualLength) As MaxActualLength

from ##tmp

group by TableName

order by sum(DefinedLength)DESC,sum(MaxActualLength) DESC

Lowell

• Ya do pretty darned well yourself, Lowell! You made a very useful tool.  I'm in the process of tweaking it for my own use and thought I'd share it with you.  I changed your formula a bit so that if a column contains no data, it's length is returned as NULL (Unused Column) and added the brackets you suggested.

I've got a couple of other things I think I'll try adding, but here's the code as it currently stands and thanks again...

--===== Setup the environment
        SET TRANSACTION ISOLATION LEVEL READ UNCOMMITTED
        SET NOCOUNT ON
        SET ANSI_WARNINGS OFF
    --===== If the result table already exists, drop it
         IF OBJECT_ID('TempDB..#ColumnData') IS NOT NULL
            DROP TABLE #ColumnData
    --===== Declare the local variables
    DECLARE @Columns INT          --Total number of columns found
    DECLARE @Counter INT          --General purpose loop counter
    DECLARE @SQL     VARCHAR(600) --Contains the dynamic SQL for each column
    --===== Populate the result table with the initial table/column info
     SELECT RowNum              = IDENTITY(INT,1,1),
            TableName           = OBJECT_NAME(sc.ID), 
            ColumnName          = sc.Name,
            DataType            = UPPER(TYPE_NAME(sc.XType)),
            DefinedLength       = sc.Length,
            MaxActualDataLength = CAST(NULL AS INT)
       INTO #ColumnData
       FROM dbo.SysColumns sc
      WHERE OBJECTPROPERTY(sc.ID,'IsTable')     = 1
        AND OBJECTPROPERTY(sc.ID,'IsMSShipped') = 0
    --===== Remember how many columns there are
        SET @Columns = @@ROWCOUNT
    --===== Add a primary key to the result table (just 'cuz)
      ALTER TABLE #ColumnData
        ADD PRIMARY KEY CLUSTERED (ROWNUM) WITH FILLFACTOR = 100
    --===== Loop through the column data and find the actual max data length for each
        SET @Counter = 1
      WHILE @Counter <= @Columns
      BEGIN
             SELECT @SQL = 'UPDATE #ColumnData SET '
                         + 'MaxActualDataLength=(SELECT MAX(DATALENGTH(['+ColumnName+'])) FROM ['+TableName+'])' 
                         + 'WHERE RowNum='+CAST(@Counter AS VARCHAR(10))
               FROM #ColumnData
              WHERE RowNum = @Counter
    --        PRINT @SQL
               EXEC (@SQL)
                SET @Counter = @Counter+1
        END
    --===== Display the columns not fully utilized in order of worst usage of the length
         -- Note that NULL columns contain no data at all.
         -- Note that this does NOT find columns that have been RPadded to max length (yet).
     SELECT *,DefinedLength-MaxActualDataLength AS MinUnused
       FROM #ColumnData 
      WHERE ISNULL(MaxActualDataLength,0)<DefinedLength
      ORDER BY CASE WHEN MaxActualDataLength IS NULL THEN 9999
                    ELSE DefinedLength-MaxActualDataLength 
                    END  DESC,TableName,ColumnName

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Hello Lowell and Jeff,

thank you both for your efforts.

Even though it's still not exactly what I had in mind, I think I can work with your scripts.

Markus

• Nice Jeff; your version does a much better job of analysis and presenting a basisi for improvements to someone's schema, i like it.

Lowell

• Maybe in the last SELECT but the rest of it is based almost exactly on what you did, Lowell.  I just changed it a bit just 'cause I like changing stuff

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Thanks, Markus... but tell us... what did you have in mind?  Both scripts return the necessary information (we thought) you were requesting... what's missing?

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Hi Jeff,

what I was hoping to find was a script which gives the the max actual value for the whole row. The idea was to find rows which could cause problems the next time someone tries to update them.

Your script tells me for each column, which row is the longest, but not the total for the row.

But by just concentrating on the large (n)varchar columns I should be able to find any rows which might be close to the 8060 limit.

Thanks again for all your efforts

Markus

• the script does...just look for anything with an DefinedSize greater than 8060:

create table BadExample(

varint int,

var1 varchar(8000),

var2 varchar(8000),

var3 varchar(8000),

var4 varchar(8000))

insert into BadExample(varint,var1,var2,var3,var4) values (1,'sometext','more text than before','etc,etc',null)

you get this on creation and insert:

Warning: The table 'BadExample' has been created but its maximum row size (32033) exceeds the maximum number of bytes per row (8060). INSERT or UPDATE of a row in this table will fail if the resulting row length exceeds 8060 bytes.

(1 row(s) affected)

Warning: The table 'BadExample' has been created but its maximum row size (32033) exceeds the maximum number of bytes per row (8060). INSERT or UPDATE of a row in this table will fail if the resulting row length exceeds 8060 bytes.

and the script produces the results you'd expect, how big it's defined,a dn how much you could potentially shrink it based on the data in the table.

TableNameDefinedLengthMaxActualLength
    BadExample3200440
    TBSCHTSK275444
    PPNCSHATAX25531328

Lowell

• Oops,

sorry Lowell my comment was about Jeff's script. I must admit I was in a hurry yesterday and didn't take the time to test all the scripts. So thank you even more, your script is exactly what I actually asked for.

But having Jeff's script aside is also very usefull since he breaks down the shrinking potential for each column.

Markus

• The neat think about counting Pennies is that the Dollars take care of themselves   Add the following to the end of my script...

SELECT TableName,

SUM(DefinedLength)                     AS DefinedRowWidth,

SUM(DefinedLength-MaxActualDataLength) AS UsedRowWidth

FROM #ColumnData

GROUP BY TableName

HAVING SUM(DefinedLength) > 8060

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply