Querying the INFORMATION_SCHEMA

• looks like you haven't applied SP2 to your client tools

Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio9.00.3042.00

Microsoft Analysis Services Client Tools2005.090.3042.00

Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC)2000.085.1117.00 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)

Microsoft MSXML2.6 3.0 4.0 5.0 6.0

Microsoft Internet Explorer7.0.5730.13

Microsoft .NET Framework2.0.50727.1433

Operating System5.1.2600

• I have other similar macro scripts that work in SQA and not SSMS. It has been really frustrating not to be able to use them effectively in SSMS - especially if you are a type and typo centric TSQL'r.

I will apply SP2 and see if it works. Thanks for the posts and the insight re: SP2.

-Mike

• That does the trick!

Thanks!

• Top tip for working with the INFORMATION_SCHEMA views: use Excel to view them.

In Excel, go to Data, Import External Data..., then either Import Data or New Database Query. Use or create a DSN and fish out the INFORMATION_SCHEMA view that your interested in. COLUMNS is the one I use the most.

Then use Excel's Autofilter and you got yourself a Data Dictionary that you can filter to find, say, all fields with the same name, all fields of the same datatype (use char instead of nchar and have a feeling you've done it somewhere else too?), or whatever.

• Andrew_Webster (3/18/2008)

Top tip for working with the INFORMATION_SCHEMA views: use Excel to view them.

In Excel, go to Data, Import External Data..., then either Import Data or New Database Query. Use or create a DSN and fish out the INFORMATION_SCHEMA view that your interested in. COLUMNS is the one I use the most.

Then use Excel's Autofilter and you got yourself a Data Dictionary that you can filter to find, say, all fields with the same name, all fields of the same datatype (use char instead of nchar and have a feeling you've done it somewhere else too?), or whatever.

Hadn't thought about that... that's a very clever and useful idea! Thanks, Andrew!

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Hi Mike,

I enjoyed the article that I found as I was searching for something similar. We are trying to clean up a database where the dba stored every ad hoc report he was asked to create as a stored procedure. I was hoping to find a way to query the INFORMATION_SCHEMA to see what stored procedures had not been used in the last month or more and be able to target them as possible candidates for deletion. Is that possible?

Thanks,

Tim "DBA jr."

• Tim:

Sorry for the late response. Hopefully by now you have found the solution. The question does raise an eyebrow. Basically, when was the last time a given sproc was fired. I know there are thrid party tools that monitor a database for activity - a table structure was modified, a sprc changed, etc. I do not have an immediate answer.

• Hi Timothy,

monitoring 'execution count' for a while might help.

See this article by Gregory Larsen -

http://www.databasejournal.com/features/mssql/article.php/3687186/Monitoring-Stored-Procedure-Usage.htm

• INFORMATION_SCHEMA.ROUTINES does not return triggers data, look here:

ROUTINE_TYPE

nvarchar(20)

Returns PROCEDURE for stored procedures, and FUNCTION for functions.

• WOW

I have not seen this article in a long time. IT is pretty cool to see that it is still out there.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply