Query two DB's on two Servers

• Hi. How can I connect to a second db on a different server with tsql. More to the point, I've got to be able to connect to another server in my union query.

I appreciate any and all help.

Thanks. I should also add that they're not linked.

Edited by - peygham on 10/02/2003 11:36:47 AM

• Create linked server the second server and query the table with four-part qualified name.

select * from tabe1

union all

select * from linkedservername.dbname.dbo.table2

• Thank you. I'll try it as soon as my dba links those two.

Thanks again,

• You can use openrowset() to return a something (I am not sure what) that can be included in a select statement as if it were a table in your current database. You just have to supply the connection string.

eg.

to connect using ODBC:

SELECT a.* FROM OPENROWSET('MSDASQL',

'DRIVER={SQL Server};SERVER=servername;UID=username;PWD=password',

somedatabase.dbo.sometable) as a

to connect using OLE:

SELECT A.*

FROM OPENROWSET('SQLOLEDB','servername';'username';'password',

'exec somedatabase.dbo.SomeStoredProcedureThatReturnsACursor') AS A

you can put any query in the quotes.

It is very useful for loading data from other databases, eg Access tables

eg.

INSERT INTO staff

SELECT a.*

FROM OPENROWSET('Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0',

'c:\program files\mortgagepro\products.mdb';'Admin';'', 'select * from staff where source > 245')

AS a

Peter Tillotson

• Thanks Peter. I'm able to run my sql once a link is established. But without one, I can't run distributed queries.

Edited by - peygham on 10/03/2003 09:23:36 AM

• I believe OPENROWSET works without linking the databases, as long as the PC you are running the query on can see the other server on the network. I may be wrong but it seems to work on my network.

Peter Tillotson

• OPENROWSET is slooooooow. Comapred to a linked server at least. The connection has to be established each time you run the query, kind of an ad-hoc linked server. Also, SQL2K SP3shuts off the peasants from running an OPENROWSET, the executing ID must be an admin account. You can change this, but it's done on a driver-by-driver basis in the registery. By 'driver', I mean the driver for the remote database...SQL Server, Jet (Access, Excel), Oracle, etc.

This article deals with SQL7 but this is still an issue on 2000, by design.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=http://support.microsoft.com:80/support/kb/articles/q266/0/08.asp&NoWebContent=1

Also see "Configuring OLE DB Providers for Distributed Queries" under Administering SQL Server in BOL.

NOTE that the keys are different if you are using a named instance of SQL

-------

at us, very deafly, a most stares

collosal hoax of clocks and calendars

eecummings

-------
    at us, very deafly, a most stares
    collosal hoax of clocks and calendars

eecummings

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply