Query to rebuild/reorganize all indexes in the database?

• Does somebody has a query to rebuild or reorganized (depending on the level of fragmentation) all the indexes in the database? The only input parameter is a database name.. It should find an indexes itself and make a decision what to do with it...

• try this one out ..

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/scripts/31857/

• Does somebody has a query to rebuild or reorganized (depending on the level of fragmentation) all the indexes in the database? The only input parameter is a database name.. It should find an indexes itself and make a decision what to do with it...

Hi,

Check the following link.It ll help u.

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/scripts/Administration/68802/

Muthukkumaran Kaliyamoorthy
    https://www.sqlserverblogforum.com/

• Thanks so much!

Can I set

@frag >30 and pages 1000 then rebuild

@frag between 5 and 30 and pages 1000 then reorganize

Would it be correct?

• I use this package from MS's DB Operations team as part of my standard build. Have found them very reliable and extendible.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/4/0/C/40CBAD9A-D990-450B-8785-F288CEBFB448/AITScripts.zip

• Heh... don't over look what's in Books Online. If you lookup "DBCC SHOWCONTIG" and scroll down, you'll find a section with the following label...

[font="Arial Black"]E. Using DBCC SHOWCONTIG and DBCC INDEXDEFRAG to defragment the indexes in a database[/font]

That section has the very code you seek in it. 😉 And, yes, it has a cursor in it... it's one of the very few places where a cursor might actually be condoned.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• As per MS U r correct.

Thanks so much!

Can I set

case 1:@frag >30 and pages 1000 then rebuild

case 2:@frag between 5 and 30 and pages 1000 then reorganize

Would it be correct?

Hi Vika,

U can use .Its depends.

If u get any error replay me.

e.g

case 2:If Allow page lock=OFF in this case the job was failed and u will get following error.

Msg 2552, Level 16, State 2, Line 1

The index "CIX (partition 1) on table "table_name" cannot be reorganized because page level locking is disabled.

Edit :add more info

Muthukkumaran Kaliyamoorthy
    https://www.sqlserverblogforum.com/

• Jeff Moden (7/21/2009)

Heh... don't over look what's in Books Online. If you lookup "DBCC SHOWCONTIG" and scroll down, you'll find a section with the following label...

[font="Arial Black"]E. Using DBCC SHOWCONTIG and DBCC INDEXDEFRAG to defragment the indexes in a database[/font]

That section has the very code you seek in it. 😉 And, yes, it has a cursor in it... it's one of the very few places where a cursor might actually be condoned.

Jeff

It's interesting that in that very same topic, Microsoft says "This feature will be removed in a future version of Microsoft SQL Server. Avoid using this feature in new development work" and "Use ALTER INDEX…REORGANIZE to reorder the leaf-level pages of the index in a logical order", and then it proceeds to use the old code in its examples!

John

• The code that is recommended for SQL 2005 can be found in books on line under 'sys.dm_db_index_physical_stats' .

It is very similar to the code in "DBCC SHOWCONTIG" page

• John Mitchell (7/23/2009)

Jeff Moden (7/21/2009)

Heh... don't over look what's in Books Online. If you lookup "DBCC SHOWCONTIG" and scroll down, you'll find a section with the following label...

Jeff

It's interesting that in that very same topic, Microsoft says "This feature will be removed in a future version of Microsoft SQL Server. Avoid using this feature in new development work" and "Use ALTER INDEX…REORGANIZE to reorder the leaf-level pages of the index in a logical order", and then it proceeds to use the old code in its examples!

John

Heh... true enough on both points. I tend to make things as backwards compatible to 2k as possible because I saw a survey (again, recently) that says that more than 67% of all IT shops still have SQL Server 2k instances running. It also shows that I really need to install the Dev Edition of 2k8 on my machine so I can catch these caveats as the product progresses.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply