Query sort question

• I am having trouble figuring out how to properly sort the results of a query that takes daily entries and summarizes them by month over a period. I used the DATENAME function to group the records by month/year, but that creates a text result that I cannot sort chronologically (oldest to newest). The query I am using looks something like this (some table joins and WHERE clause omitted):

SELECT

DATENAME(month, referral.referral_date) + ' ' + DATENAME(year, referral.referral_date) AS Period,

AVG(DATEDIFF(d, A.[First Contact], referral.referral_date)) AS Ref_time

FROM 

referral INNER JOIN ih_referral ON referral.referral_ID = ih_referral.referral_ID

GROUP BY

ih_referral.referral_ID) A ON referral.referral_ID = A.referral_ID

GROUP BY CONVERT(char(4), DATEPART(yyyy, referral.referral_date)) + CONVERT(char(2), DATEPART(mm, referral.referral_date)),  DATENAME(month, referral.referral_date) + ' ' + DATENAME(year, referral.referral_date)

The result set needed looks like this:

Period              Ref_Time     Ref_Count

August 2006     25               345

August 2005     18               421

July 2006          7                456

Etc....

I need to sort this result set chronologically by period. Obviously a field not used in the SELECT can't be used in the ORDER BY clause.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Tim

• >>Obviously a field not used in the SELECT can't be used in the ORDER BY clause.

Put your SELECT into a Derived Table and add on 1 extra column

as a sort key. Order by the SortKey in the outer SELECT:

SELECT Period, Ref_Time

FROM

(

SELECT

DATENAME(month, referral.referral_date) + ' ' + DATENAME(year, referral.referral_date) AS Period,

AVG(DATEDIFF(d, A.[First Contact], referral.referral_date)) AS Ref_time,

MIN(referral.referral_date) As SortKey

FROM 

referral INNER JOIN ih_referral ON referral.referral_ID = ih_referral.referral_ID

GROUP BY

DATENAME(month, referral.referral_date) + ' ' + DATENAME(year, referral.referral_date)

) dt

ORDER BY SortKey

• Perfect! Thanks so much.

Tim

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply