Query question, does this result in a "Cartesian join?"

• So, just having had to kill a couple instances of a query that was killing one of my QA servers, I started looking at the query plan and the query itself...

A rough idea as to what the query was doing:

select distinct item.number

, item.model

, model.model

, security.hr_number

, item_category.category

from items, security, item_category, model

After some poking around, I noticed the estimated query plan was guessing it was going to return ~3 billion records.

So, I re-wrote the query using inner joins, and it returns 36K rows in about 2 seconds...

With a query such as the problem one, the execution plan had a couple inner joins (no where predicate.) Cartesian joins, then?

At this point, that's what the guy in charge of the developers is thinking, and is kicking the query back to them for a re-write...

Thanks,

Jason

• Seems like cartesion joins to me.

All the more reason I dislike writing inner joins that way. Too easy to forget the predicates.

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• If there's no WHERE clause, then those are CROSS JOINS producing cartesian products. Without join conditions, that will only return a lot of bad information.

Kill the one that wrote that monstruosity.:-)

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • Looks like a Cartesian product to me as well.

Looks like someone was writing the query using the ANSI-89 joins but forgot the WHERE clause to properly restrict the result set.

• Lynn Pettis (6/2/2014)

Looks like a Cartesian product to me as well.

Looks like someone was writing the query using the ANSI-89 joins but forgot the WHERE clause to properly restrict the result set.

Cartesian products sounds like such a novely name.

They should think of something more evil to name that kind of join.

• Koen Verbeeck (6/2/2014)

Lynn Pettis (6/2/2014)

But it isn't evil. We use Cartesian products to generate dynamic tally tables.

• Koen Verbeeck (6/2/2014)

Lynn Pettis (6/2/2014)

maybe "Its Arcane"......anagram 🙂

• Lynn Pettis (6/2/2014)

Koen Verbeeck (6/2/2014)

Lynn Pettis (6/2/2014)

But it isn't evil. We use Cartesian products to generate dynamic tally tables.

Darth Vader wasn't always evil... 🙂

• Thanks all!

Yeah, the original *is* a monstrosity, it's the first time on my servers I've seen a query stalled out on CXPACKET waits...

Should be interesting to see what comes up next...

• jasona.work (6/3/2014)

Thanks all!

Yeah, the original *is* a monstrosity, it's the first time on my servers I've seen a query stalled out on CXPACKET waits...

Should be interesting to see what comes up next...

CURSORS! CURSORS EVERYWHERE! 😀

• ... and this is why I prefer to use ANSI-92 syntax!

Where I work now we use Sybase ASE (I miss SQL Server so much boohoo!) and all the code is written using the older SQL syntax which is a pain in the backside IMHO. Every time I'm required to debug a sproc I'm having to rewrite the code using ANSI-92 joins to understand what it's doing.

---------------------------------------------------------

It takes a minimal capacity for rational thought to see that the corporate 'free press' is a structurally irrational and biased, and extremely violent, system of elite propaganda.
    David Edwards - Media lens[/url]

Society has varying and conflicting interests; what is called objectivity is the disguise of one of these interests - that of neutrality. But neutrality is a fiction in an unneutral world. There are victims, there are executioners, and there are bystanders... and the 'objectivity' of the bystander calls for inaction while other heads fall.
    Howard Zinn

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply