Query Processor Errore

• I do not need a solution for this - I am posting it for interest and perhaps save somebody some time.

I have a lengthy stored procedure (no parameters but far too long to post) that prepares data for letters. It works off a master table of addressees which contains a flag to indicate whether that record has been processed. Each run processes a fixed size batch of records and sets the flag. The next run then goes on to the next batch for which the flag is not set.

Testing this in Query Analyser (SQL7), it works fine until it runs out of records in the master table. On the next run, without any changes to the code, it throws an 'Internal Query Processor Error: The query processor could not produce a query plan.'. I have confirmed that this only occurs when it has nothing to process. Presumably, the query processor can't identify any statistics to work with and just gives up! Why it is recompiling anyway, I've no idea.

I've just wasted a few hours trying to rewrite perfectly valid code!

• "no parameters but far too long to post"

Nothing is too long to post

"Presumably, the query processor can't identify any statistics to work with and just gives up! Why it is recompiling anyway,

I've no idea. I've just wasted a few hours trying to rewrite perfectly valid code!"

Well if you post the code here, you'll have any number of experts that could review it and maybe find the needle in your haystack

--------------------
    Colt 45 - the original point and click interface

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply