Query Help - History Table with no range data.

• I am trying to join some history table data to a sales interface.

I need to return value @time.

2020-03-13 09_51_37-Book1 - Exceldoes anyone have a good solution to this?

I apologize if this is simple for some.

My issue is I need to compare the sale date and return values where saledate is the max, but less than update date where name key in left table =namekey in right table. I cant figure out how to do this by row and not at the table level.

Again, apologies if this is something simple.

Any other approach would be welcome as well.

• A picture of your data is worthless.  You need to supply actual data by supplying a script using the {;} Insert/edit code sample to do the following.

• Create a temp tables (or declare a table variables) for your sample data.  This allows for easier cleanup.
    • Insert data into said tables.
    • Create a temp table for the expected results
    • Insert data into said table.

That being said, the easiest approach is to use a CROSS APPLY with a TOP(1) ordered by [Update Date].

Drew

PS: It is bad practice to have column names with spaces in it.

J. Drew Allen
    Business Intelligence Analyst
    Philadelphia, PA

• Without wanting to pile-on, there's no 31st of September either and there's a Sale Date in your Desired Results picture that's not in Table 1.

You'll generally find most people around here are pretty willing to help. Few will judge a newcomer on how simple a query may be because it's not simple to everyone.  What we do like is the sample data like Drew says and a willingness to learn.

That being said, you can have this as freebie because it's Friday.  The mistakes are still there but you should get the idea about how to post your samples.

CREATE TABLE #Current
    (
    NameCHAR(2)
    ,NameKeyINT
    ,SaleDateDATE
    ,SaleQuantityTINYINT
    ,CurrentCategoryTINYINT
    );
    CREATE TABLE #History
    (
    NameCHAR(2)
    ,NameKeyINT
    ,UpdateDateDATE
    ,ColumnNameCHAR(170)
    ,ValueTINYINT
    );

INSERT INTO #Current
    VALUES('g1',1001,'2008-01-01',1,1)
    ,('g1',1001,'2008-06-01',2,1)
    ,('g1',1001,'2008-09-01',4,1)
    ,('g2',1002,'2008-01-01',2,2)
    ,('g2',1002,'2008-06-01',3,2)
    ,('g2',1002,'2008-09-01',5,2)
    ,('g2',1002,'2008-09-31',4,2);

INSERT INTO #History
    VALUES('g1',1001,'2008-03-01','CurrentCategory',3)
    ,('g1',1001,'2008-07-01','CurrentCategory',4)
    ,('g1',1001,'2008-10-01','CurrentCategory',5)
    ,('g2',1002,'2007-12-01','CurrentCategory',1)
    ,('g2',1002,'2008-03-01','CurrentCategory',2)
    ,('g2',1002,'2008-06-01','CurrentCategory',3);

• This reply was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by  Neil Burton.

On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" ... I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
    —Charles Babbage, Passages from the Life of a Philosopher

How to post a question to get the most help http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537

• Thank you, sorry for being an annoying noob moron, will try to do better in the future with well-formed requests.  This is very helpful, I have been stuck for a day.

• simplemind wrote:

Thank you, sorry for being an annoying noob moron, will try to do better in the future with well-formed requests.  This is very helpful, I have been stuck for a day.

You're welcome and don't be so hard on yourself.  It's not the noob morons  that are annoying.  The morons that have been around for years and are still asking the same questions, now they'll get on your nerves.

On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" ... I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
    —Charles Babbage, Passages from the Life of a Philosopher

How to post a question to get the most help http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537

• Based on Neil's sample data, here is a first attempt at a query.

SELECT c.Name, c.NameKey, c.SaleDate, c.SaleQuantity, c.CurrentCategory, h.Value
    FROM #Current c
    OUTER APPLY
    (
    SELECT TOP(1) *
    FROM #History h
    WHERE h.NameKey = c.NameKey
    AND h.UpdateDate <= c.SaleDate
    ORDER BY h.UpdateDate DESC
    ) h;

I used OUTER APPLY instead of CROSS APPLY to handle cases where there wasn't enough history.

Drew

J. Drew Allen
    Business Intelligence Analyst
    Philadelphia, PA

• I'm a bit confused by the first row of your posted desired result...  Is the 4/1/2008 date for the SaleDate just a typo that should have been 1/1/2008 or am I missing something in your requirements?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• It was a typo. Thank you!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply