QOD 4th Sept 2003

• IMHO the question needed to have a little more clarification, in short it didn't indicate whether as a developer we were a member of the sysadmins role, which would mean that we execute xp_cmdshell as the win acct that starts SQL. If we were not (which I assumed) then we would be using the proxy acct (for SQL Agent) and so the answer would be option 5 not option 4.

Steve.

Steve.

• I do not get the error (invalid user/password) at all.

When running as local system, I can quite happily get to local shares but not to shares on another server (this gives "The network path was not found.").

This is using SQL 2K SP3a.

If I try to get to a share which the SQL Server account (not local system but a domain account now) does not have permission on, I get "Access Denied"

So I am left wondering how to actually get the error message that is the subject of this QOD !

• Steve,

I totally agree with you.

Maybe the error message is different when it comes from Sql Agent? Anyone knows?

Salvor

Salvor

• Steve,

I also agree with you. The question stated that the user was a developer and I'd assume this means not a DBA - I think the question was a little vague here.

Maybe the error is different but I think the question was a little misleading!

Lee

• A better question would involve:

xp_sqlagent_proxy_account

Everyone who is a member of sysadmin executes

xp_cmdshell

as the account running SQL server. Anyone else with access to

xp_cmdshell

runs it as whoever the sqlagent proxy is. This should have been either clarified in the question or the actual subject it was about.

Keith Henry

Keith Henry

According to everyone I know I "do something with computers?" for a living, so there you go.

• I can't agree with the given answer. I ran the query without having permission to xp_cmdshell and got the error stated. However, running the same query logged in as SA worked. How can this be anything to do with the account that started SQL Server?

• Useful script:

/*
    Following on from todays QOD (on xp_cmdshell permissions) I thought this might be useful.
    Takes a directory or UNC path and returns the contents as a table.  
    eg:
    exec sp_getdir '\\mypc\c$'
    returns:
    datestring timestring directory   filesize    nameoffile
    ---------- ---------- ----------- ----------- ----------------------
    18/07/2003 10:45      1           NULL        Documents and Settings
    22/01/2002 18:06      0           0           IO.SYS
    22/01/2002 18:06      0           0           MSDOS.SYS
    10/03/2003 15:43      0           34724       NTDETECT.COM
    10/03/2003 15:43      0           214432      ntldr
    02/09/2003 10:50      0           268435456   pagefile.sys
    18/07/2003 11:02      1           NULL        Program Files
    10/07/2003 17:03      1           NULL        WINNT
    It handles the error mentioned in the QOD with a useful message.
    eg:
    exec sp_getdir '\\mypc\c$' (where I'm not sysadmin)
    might return:
    Current user's login is NOT a member of the sysadmin role
    Non sysadmin executions of xp_cmdshell currently run as: MYDOMAIN\AUSER
    You can change this with xp_sqlagent_proxy_account N'SET', <domain>, <username>, <password>
    */
    create proc sp_getdir (@networkpath varchar(1000)) as
    begin
    set nocount on
    create table #temp([output] varchar(8000))
    declare @cmdstr varchar(1000)
    select @cmdstr = 'dir ' + @networkpath + ' /A:D /A:S /A:H /A:R /A:A /-C /N /4 '
    insert #temp
    exec master.dbo.xp_cmdshell @cmdstr
    select left(t.[output],10) as datestring, substring(t.[output],13,5) as timestring,
    case substring(t.[output],26,3) when 'DIR' then 1 else 0 end as directory ,
    case substring(t.[output],26,3) when 'DIR' then null else cast(ltrim(substring(t.[output],20,19)) as int) end as filesize,
    substring(t.[output],40,1000) as nameoffile
    from #temp as t where t.[output] like '[0-9][0-9]%'
    if @@error <> 0 or not @@rowcount > 0 goto doh
    goto done
    doh:
    if exists(select * from #temp where rtrim(ltrim([output])) = 'The network path was not found.')
    print @networkpath + ' was not found.'
    else
    begin
    if exists(select * from #temp where rtrim(ltrim([output])) = 'Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.')
    begin
    print 'Login failure to ' + @networkpath
    if is_srvrolemember ('sysadmin') = 1
    print 'Current user''s login is a member of the sysadmin role' + char(10) + 
    'The account MSSQL runs under does not have access to ' + @networkpath
    else 
    begin
    print 'Current user''s login is NOT a member of the sysadmin role'
    declare @Domain sysname, @Username sysname
    create table #temp2(Domain sysname, Username sysname)
    insert #temp2
    exec master.dbo.xp_sqlagent_proxy_account N'GET'
    select @Domain = t.Domain, @Username = t.Username from #temp2 t
    print 'Non sysadmin executions of xp_cmdshell currently run as: ' + isnull(@Domain + '\' + @Username, 'No user set')
    drop table #temp2
    print 'You can change this with xp_sqlagent_proxy_account N''SET'', <domain>, <username>, <password>'
    end
    end
    else
    select * from #temp
    end
    done:
    drop table #temp
    set nocount off
    end
    go  

Keith Henry

Edited by - keithh on 09/04/2003 04:52:55 AM

Keith Henry

According to everyone I know I "do something with computers?" for a living, so there you go.

• quote:

I can't agree with the given answer. I ran the query without having permission to xp_cmdshell and got the error stated. However, running the same query logged in as SA worked. How can this be anything to do with the account that started SQL Server?

If you try to run it without permissions to xp_cmdshell you get

EXECUTE permission denied on object 'xp_cmdshell', database 'master', owner 'dbo'.

Keith Henry

Keith Henry

• I also agree that the question was unclear. I tried accessing directories using UNC that I was certain the SQL Server account would not have access to and received results like the following:

Volume in drive \\myservername\Departments is Data

Volume Serial Number is XXXX-XXXX

NULL

Directory of \\myservername\Departments\IT

NULL

File Not Found

NULL

(7 row(s) affected)

Trying the default share against a server that I was sure restricted resulted in:

Access is denied.

NULL

(2 row(s) affected)

After these attempts, and not seeing the error message in the QOD, I assumed that it must result when a non-system administrator attempts to access a restricted share using xp_cmdshell and I chose answer 5 rather than 4. Can we get some QA on QOD?

Regards...

• quote:

After these attempts, and not seeing the error message in the QOD, I assumed that it must result when a non-system administrator attempts to access a restricted share using xp_cmdshell and I chose answer 5 rather than 4. Can we get some QA on QOD?

We do strive to QA it on as many different environments as possible. All I can assume here, is that Windows 2003 Server (which was the environment in the Q) must be outputting a slightly different error than you have on your system (WIndows 2000?). A lot of the obscurity in the questions is due to lack of creativity during my lunch break after already doing 60 questions :).I did correct the question to clarify that you were already a sysadmin after the newsletter went out on the web page (very good point).

Brian Knight

bknight@sqlservercentral.com

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/bknight

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply