Purchase of SQL Server 2005 Developer Edition

• Sorry if this is not the right place for this post.

I've been taking some classes on Implementing/Maintaining a SQL database through LearnKey and have been using SQL Server 2005 Express. I've reached a point in the class where we're getting into using BIDS, IIS and SQL Agent (and some other items). With EE, I'm not able to use (at least I don't think I am) BIDS to create an Integration Services Project. Nor does SQL Agent seem to be avaialble for use. I have these available to me in my place of employment, but I don't have time to investigate them when I'm "on the job". I would like to better follow along with the LearnKey video on these topics at home, so I'm wondering if purchasing the developer edition would satisfy all of these things.

From what I've read and been able to interpret/gather, it seems that it would. It's relatively cheap ($50), so I'm willing to spend to buy it, but I don't want to do so and still be in the same position I'm in with Express Edition.

I frequent this forum often and believe it to be a good place to pose the question.

Thoughts? 🙂

• Set your mind at ease, the Developer's Edition is identical the the full blown Enterprise Edition except for the licensing restristictions and the operating systems it can run on. The Developer's Edition will run on your desktop or laptap. It does NOT require a copy of Windows Server like the Enterprise Edition does.

The only caution I can give you is that you will soon become addicted to having full and complete control over your SQL Server environment.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff, thanks for your reply. I had believed and hoped that was the case. Thanks for eliminating that concern for me. 🙂

Cheers.

• you might want to consider getting SQL 2008 Developer Edition; it is the latest and greatest and all that.

I just got one earlier last week; I'd been running 2005 forever, and I guess it's time to get used to the newer stuff as well.

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• freens77 (8/1/2009)

Jeff, thanks for your reply. I had believed and hoped that was the case. Thanks for eliminating that concern for me. 🙂

Cheers.

No problem and Lowell is correct... 2008 would probably be the better choice.

On the flip side, I also purchased the Dev version for 2000 a long time ago and I keep it active on my home machine to this day. There's a huge number of differences between 2k and 2k5 or 2k8 and there are a huge number of people that still run 2k. Customers with 2k just don't wanna hear that they have to buy a really expensive upgrade so a problem can be solved using ROW_NUMBER. 😛

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Just an update: I purchased the 2008 Dev version and should have it delivered tomorrow. With S&H it came to just over $100. A little more than I'd hoped, but hey, I get it tomorrow! 🙂

Thanks again for the advice/guidance.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply