problems with perfmon on win2k3 x64 running sql2k sp4 x86

• I have 3 servers running win2k3 x64 running sql 2k x86

I just started here as the new DBA and am trying to benchmark these servers and instances before moving to sql2k5 in about a month.

when I run unlodctr on the sqlctr.ini file I get the following error:

unable to open driver system\currentcontrolSet\Services\cqlctr.ini status: 2

Is there a way to just rebuild the counters for sql or do I have to rebuild all of them from scratch?

'nix

• had already tried that but thanks for the reply. I went further and tried ran a utility that showed that the sqlctr80.dll was not registered. When I tried to register it I received an error stating that the DLLRegisterServer entry point was not found. This file cannot be registered. This reoccurs for each instance in which it is attempted. I had previously stated that I had the sql counters running on some instances. This was incorrect. When I looked at the actual values stored in the .csv file I had all the server counters but none of the sql specific for any instance. (How could all of the sqlctr80.dll files be corrupted? One more question, I've never previously looked at the sqlctr.ini file so dont know what "valid values" would be. Here are a few lines, but they look ok to me:

[info]

drivername=MSSQLServer

symbolfile=sqlctr.h

[languages]

009=English

[text]

BUFMGR_OBJECT_009_NAME=SQLServer:Buffer Manager

BUFMGR_OBJECT_009_HELP=Statistics related to SQL Servers buffer manager

BUFPART_OBJECT_009_NAME=SQLServer:Buffer Partition

BUFPART_OBJECT_009_HELP=Statistics related to SQL Server's buffer partitions

GENERAL_OBJECT_009_NAME=SQLServer:General Statistics

GENERAL_OBJECT_009_HELP=Server General Statistics

LOCKS_OBJECT_009_NAME=SQLServer:Locks

LOCKS_OBJECT_009_HELP=Describes statistics for individual lock server lock requests

DBMGR_OBJECT_009_NAME=SQLServer:Databases

DBMGR_OBJECT_009_HELP=This defines a Database manager object for SQL Server

LATCH_OBJECT_009_NAME=SQLServer:Latches

LATCH_OBJECT_009_HELP=Collects statistics associated with internal server latches

ACCESS_METHODS_OBJECT_009_NAME=SQLServer:Access Methods

ACCESS_METHODS_OBJECT_009_HELP=Collects statistics associated with the database server access methods

SQL_OBJECT_009_NAME=SQLServer:SQL Statistics

SQL_OBJECT_009_HELP=Collects statistics associated with SQL requests

CACHE_OBJECT_009_NAME=SQLServer:Cache Manager

CACHE_OBJECT_009_HELP=This defines cache counters

MEMORY_OBJECT_009_NAME=SQLServer:Memory Manager

MEMORY_OBJECT_009_HELP=This defines memory usage.

USER_QUERY_OBJECT_009_NAME=SQLServer:User Settable

USER_QUERY_OBJECT_009_HELP=This defines user definable counters

REPLICATION_AGENT_OBJECT_009_NAME=SQLServer:Replication Agents

REPLICATION_AGENT_OBJECT_009_HELP=Replication Summary

(not a complete list)

Keep in mind that I can actually see the sql specific perfmons when executing performance monitor from within profiler but not when running perfmon from the run menu.

Am I dealing with all bad .dll files on all instance on 4 servers? If so then I have to replace it and work on a lot of registry keys to get it fixed. Wondering if its worth it given we're migrating to new servers running sql2k5 (Yeah!) which I've used as a DBA more than sql2k. But I HATE the idea of not having any idea what type of performance I'm getting from the current configuration to benchmark and compare with the new installs so I have not quite given up just yet.

'nix

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply