Preventing a SELECT

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Preventing a SELECT

• Nice, easy one to start the week on, thanks Steve

• "other people will want access".  Could you be a little more specific as to whether you intend to provide access to those people?

• Bill wrote:

"other people will want access".  Could you be a little more specific as to whether you intend to provide access to those people?

It doesn't actually matter.  Whether that possibility is realized or not, there's really only one right way to do this from the list of possible answers.

There IS an even more secure method but is well beyond the requirements of this question.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• This isn't an actual situation, but a contrived one. I have had similar situations, but in this case, the statement is intended to shape the question so you can answer it. Granting others access would be a future request, so the idea here is for you to consider that as a requirement. Intention is not necessary; planning is.

• Stewart "Arturius" Campbell wrote:

Nice, easy one to start the week on, thanks Steve

At the time of this post, I see that 18% (a whopping 42 out of 230) of the folks that answered got it wrong.  Apparently, it's not so simple for some.  It's no wonder that you end up reading about so many penetrations in the news.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden wrote:

Stewart "Arturius" Campbell wrote:

Nice, easy one to start the week on, thanks Steve

At the time of this post, I see that 18% (a whopping 42 out of 230) of the folks that answered got it wrong.  Apparently, it's not so simple for some.  It's no wonder that you end up reading about so many penetrations in the news.

very true...

• Jeff Moden wrote:

There IS an even more secure method but is well beyond the requirements of this question.

Create a view with the columns or where criteria that you intend to provide and grant select on that view?

Puto me cogitare, ergo puto me esse.
    I think that I think, therefore I think that I am.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply